Forums

Chances of winning with 1.e4

Sort:
LoverboyRose

Hello chess.com. Today I will be talking about a quite common move for white which is 1.e4. There have been many discussions on this website and books about chess openings with this first move. Some openings are the Ruy Lopez which starts off with 1. e4 e5, 2. Nf3 Nc6, 3. Bb5 d6, 4. d3 Bd7, 5. Nc3 f5? (which seems like a blunder in a way if you look into it) 6. h3 a6, 7. Bc4 Nh6? (Another blunder in a way but if you think differently then please do say so). Now you must realize that this is a variation of the Ruy Lopez. I am going to be saying some more openings in this forum.

Another opening is the Giuoco Piano(One of my favorites apart from the Ruy Lopez). It starts off with 1. e4 e5, 2. Nf3 Nc6, 3. Bc4 Bc5, 4. Nc3 Nf6, 5. d3 d6, 6. 0-0 Bg4, 7. h3 h5, 8. hxg4 hxg4, 9. g5 g3, 10. Nxf7 Nxe4, 11. Nxd8 gxf2+, 12. Rxf2+ Bxf2+, 13. Kf1 Rh1+, 14. Ke2 Nd4# (AGAIN this is a variation of the Giuoco Piano and it is a Mating attack which left black being victorious) So you tell me chess.com. What do you think? Give me opinions, the more the merrier. Even games will do nicely.

toiyabe

Your lines got some major holes, yo.  

LoverboyRose

I am aware of that but it is why I put it out on a forum so that I could get advice from better players and learn from my mistakes. Also are you just saying that because your name on here is Fixing_A_Hole? Just curious :D no critisism at all intended. I am thankful for the imput though. Perhaps you would be so kind as to list some ideas of your own. Or even some games? Do you use the opening move 1.e4 or the Ruy Lopez?

toiyabe

Haha, my username is just a Beatles song.  But yes I play 1.e4(not exclusively, but regularly) as well as the Ruy.  I'm confused as to what youre looking for though.  Are you looking for stem games to get ideas?  Or are you trying to determine what lines you want to make a part of your repertoire?  

LoverboyRose

What lines I want to make a part of my repertoire. I like to defend at first in my games and then when my opponent leasts expects it, I will suddenly attack and force them to open up their defense. I love the beatles lol :)

toiyabe

Well if you are a defensive player, I don't think 1.e4 is a good opening move for you.  I think 1.d4 would fit your style more, e4 is more conducive to attacking play.  

LoverboyRose

True. Very true. I always seem to turn the attacking openings into defensive but effective strategies and my defensive strategies always turn into powerful attacking ones lol. I am not your average player hahaha.

tmkroll

after 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 d6 I think White should play d4, forcing Black to give up the center. This is fairly well known. Though if Black plays a6 first... 3... a6 4. Ba4 d6 then Black can think about Bd7 or f5 in some lines, the Siesta Variation, with similar play to what you posted, though I don't know about the Nh6 stuff at all. The point is that after d4 Black can break the pin with b5. 

toiyabe

Or maybe try KIA stuff?

LoverboyRose

I'll have to look into the Siesta Variation. and I agree about moving d4 against black. Gives up the center plus you gain a pawn and more breathing room. The best game I ever played was when I had a line of pawns on my queen side in a diagonal and I eventually got 2 queens back and won with them both.

LoverboyRose

Ok Lets say the Berlin Wall Variation for White against Black's Sicilian Defence? Who would win there do you say? Black's Defence or White's Attacks after 1.e4? OR would it be a tie? Black has a strong position on c5 with that pawn and then that Knight on c6. When he or she brings out the pawn and moves it to e6 and then follows up with e5, I think personally black would have the upper hand because they are attacking the center from different angles plus he could pin the pieces that white is using whatever they may be.