Forums

How to Avoid Transpositions to the Sveshnikov

Sort:
Arcanus_Lupus

I was wondering what the different ways to avoid the Sicilian Sveshnikov from the Kalashnikov were.  I'm looking for something aggressive, even if a little positionally suspect.  Thanks in advance,

Arcanus_Lupus

Arcanus_Lupus

@pfren

Well, I recently saw Igor Alexandre Nataf's game against John Nunn which inspired me very much.  You are right that the reason I'm avoiding it is the theoretical bulk, I'm just too lazy to study the Kalashnikov AND the Sveshnikov. 

As for the lines in the Kalashnikov being passive for Black, I'm willing to take extra risks in order to create more winning chances such as the variation 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 e5 5. Nb5 d6 6. c4 Be7 7. N1c3 a6 8. Na3 f5 played in the Nataf game. 

Keep in mind I am new to this opening and don't know too much about it, so I'm not aware of passive lines Black cannot avoid.  Thank you for your response so far.

Arcanus_Lupus

Thanks pfren.  In your opinion, would it be a good or bad idea to model one's repertoire and style after one specific high rated player (in this case Nataf)?  I'm really liking his openings and style, so perhaps I should just copy him?

Arcanus_Lupus

As am I, what's your point?

shepi13

6...a6 7. Na3 Ne7 8. Nc4 seems to show that black has too many weaknesses. d6 needs more defending, and next white can play Be3 and target b6 or play Nd5 when black moves the knight from e7.

electricjellyfish

romolisslo is the answer!!