Forums

Learning openings as sub-1500 - a paradox ?

Sort:
motzer2000

Hi chessers,

when playing against low-rated opponents (like myself) I recognized that in about 99 % of opening moves every book opening seems useless. After the 3rd ord 4th move at latest the opponents take a complete different approach and so a studied opening becomes even a dangerous weapon against yourself by sticking to the official lines (and given variations).

I ask myself why learning books full of lines and variations when the outcome tends to be zero for having useful lines against your opponent. It seems to be a big paradox to me.

What is your intention to learn certain openings in the first place ? I am very curious about your answers. Maybe the help me to overcome this (my ?) paradox.

Thanx in advance.

B164D

I have the same experience, plus at 59 the memory isn't so good, so learning the openings isn't a good option. Far better to just look at each situation afresh and besides, when you win you can take all the credit!

astronomer999
motzer2000 wrote:

Hi chessers,

when playing against low-rated opponents (like myself) I recognized that in about 99 % of opening moves every book opening seems useless. After the 3rd ord 4th move at latest the opponents take a complete different approach and so a studied opening becomes even a dangerous weapon against yourself by sticking to the official lines (and given variations).

I ask myself why learning books full of lines and variations when the outcome tends to be zero for having useful lines against your opponent. It seems to be a big paradox to me.

What is your intention to learn certain openings in the first place ? I am very curious about your answers. Maybe the help me to overcome this (my ?) paradox.

Thanx in advance.

I think that you will find that slightly stronger rated players will know the opening lines for the common openings, so will play them for a few moves. The move that takes them away from the standard opening is probably not a good move. If it is a good move, it would be in the standard repertoire