Forums

Poll: what is your favorite opening as white?

Sort:
shdu02
AssauIt wrote:

Its pretty much this

1.d4 any
2.nf3 any
3.e3 any
4.bd3 any
5.0-0 any
6. c3 any
7.nbd2 any
8.e4

What do you mean??

Slovenly

Silliness.  You can no more play the Colle-Koltanowski against anything than you can play the Queen's Gambit against anything.  However, if black plays into an agreeable line, the first seven moves there are probably about right for the general look of the thing.

Swindlers_List
shdu02 wrote:
AssauIt wrote:

Its pretty much this

1.d4 any
2.nf3 any
3.e3 any
4.bd3 any
5.0-0 any
6. c3 any
7.nbd2 any
8.e4

What do you mean??

It's what is called a 'system' opening. White will play the opening moves exactly the same against every response by black. It is a bad opening.

Swindlers_List
Slovenly wrote:

Silliness.  You can no more play the Colle-Koltanowski against anything than you can play the Queen's Gambit against anything.  However, if black plays into an agreeable line, the first seven moves there are probably about right for the general look of the thing.

I really hope you dont believe that.

Slovenly

A typical game might go...

Koltanowski was a master, as was Colle.  Neither guy played the opening as a "system," any more than Bobby Fischer played the KIA as one.

Slovenly
AssauIt wrote:
Slovenly wrote:

I don't merely believe it.  I'm correct.

Mainline_Novelty
Slovenly wrote:
AssauIt wrote:
Slovenly wrote:

I don't merely believe it.  I'm correct.

He is right. The Colle can pretty much only be played against ...d5, same as the Queen's Gambit.

Slovenly

And just like with the KIA, the Colle, if deployed haphazardly against anything, makes for a terrible opening "repertoire."  But as a primary response against certain black lines, it's a flexible and very strong foundation around which one can build a repertoire.

Swindlers_List

That's strange, considering a colle book I have with me at this very moment, every colle book i've seen and all books on similar opening systems (london etc) seem to have chapters on playing against KID, QID, Grunfeld and other non immediate d5 setups.

Slovenly

I also have to tell you, one of the great joys of using the Colle as the foundation of your repertoire is watching the amazing gyrations players will go through as black to avoid playing against this "harmless" opening.

Even though the lines with a quick c5 and no e6 promise pretty easy equality, people would much rather risk going into Chigorins they have no idea how to play if it turns out black will in fact play c4 if called upon to do so, or sallying a quick Bg5/Bf4, leaving themselves open to Qb3 ideas that allow white a nice game.

chasm1995

h

Mainline_Novelty

A and C btw.

Remellion

A and F. I like simple stuff. Although if more people played the Tal Gambit (1. e4 c5 2. f4 d5) I'd be happy to play 1. e4 more often, since I hate Sicilians.

DiogenesDue

J

LightningBoltOfZeus
FirebrandX wrote:

In CC, my favorite is B: (versus the Sicilian). In live chess, I prefer offbeat lines like the Colle-Zuckertort.

As black, I'll play the Caro-Kann, Sveshnikov Sicilian, Nimzo-Indian, and sometimes a Semi-Slav

The Colle Zuckertort is one of the most solid openings i know.I played against a player 300 points above me and won.

JJZ03

B.

mathboy1

i.

AKJett

AssauIt wrote:

Its pretty much this

1.d4 any
2.nf3 any
3.e3 any
4.bd3 any
5.0-0 any