Forums

Scotch Gambit sideline trouble

Sort:
Icy_Clench

I'm having trouble with this particular line in the Scotch Gambit, and I'm pretty sure that white gets a clear advantage, but I can't seem to figure it out.

moonnie

I am not sure if white actually has a big advantage here. Perhaps the best try would be Bg5 (with the idea: 7. Bg5 Bxc3 8. Ke2 Bxa1 9. Bxf6 Bxf6 10. e5). Where white might have some small advantage due to his lead in development. 

dashkee94

How about just 0-0?  If ...bxc3; bg5 sucks.  You get a kind of Evan's Gambit position out of this, so once again, I'm recommending looking at Morphy's games to get an idea of how to play these lines.  He played a bunch of SG's during his blindfold days, but he treated them similar to his EG appraoch.  Have fun--they are great games to look at.

LoveYouSoMuch

yeah, already played this from both sides, black is (still) completely ok. thinking that you have an advantage might lead you to get the wrong ideas about the position.

i personally like O-O when white gets a big initiative after Bxc3 Bxf7 (Kxf7 Qb3+, Qxf7 Nxc3), or Ba5 e5... though black is fine after Be7, but white has good compensation.