Forums

trompowsky attack

Sort:
Benb0302
[COMMENT DELETED]
ghostofmaroczy

3 c4 transposes out of the Trompowsky into the Seirawan Attack.

MisterBoneman

what of 1. d4  Nf6  2. Bg5  c5  ?

Fear_ItseIf
MisterBoneman wrote:

what of 1. d4  Nf6  2. Bg5  c5  ?

Its one of the more respected lines.

White has a choice between 3.bxf6 ollowe probably by c3-d4-e3 structure or 3.d5 in which case following ..Qb6 4.nc3 we enter the Vaganian gambit (which is what i play) and the accepted follows ..qxb2 5.bd2 qb6 (otherwise rb1 and nb5 to follow) 6.e4, then black has a choice of a few moves ..d6 being the main.

imo id much rather be white in the vaganian gambit, but I guess its a matter of taste. If youre willing to fight for the pawn then its a decent choice.

As for the original topic c4 looks interesting. 

MisterBoneman

I reckon I base my thought on that sometimes the opponent makes an attack so early in the game (or defense moves, too) that it isn't so hard to repair from said attack, and in fact, sometimes leads to a strong counter attack.

In the Nimzo, the opponent (white) played 1. d4  Nf6  2. e3   e6  3. a3? ...

The defensive structure was to avert Black's .... Bb4, but, in this case, I began a transition to a King's Indian because it was obvious he was going to close up the Queenside from a direct dark square B attack. It took more moves than I thought it would, and in the end, I was lucky to extract a draw from the game. (He had played in national championship games previously)

And yes... I AM looking to replace my Nimzo with a guaranteed surprise. Well, maybe a surprise.

At the very least, let's say it is an "interesting" reply to d4.

g6

d=^))

Fear_ItseIf

As maroczy said, its called the seirwan attack in chess coms ame explorer (may have a more common name?).

I had a quick check and it is not mentioned in peter wells win with the trompowsky, or starting out with the trompowsky.

I cant see it covered in torre attack move by move (as this is based off the 1.d4 nf3 and bg5 move order).

It isnt covered in the trompowsky section of dealing with d4 deviations either :/

maybe ts not really  viable option? 

After a continuation like h6 followed by c5 or Bb4+ and bxc3 ruining whites Q side, I can see how black can have a comortable game 

MisterBoneman

oh yeah. I forgot. My apologies for slipping off topic.

The game as shown does seem to easily transpose into several lines of equality for Black. The choices are numerous to say the least. Play as a "normal" QGD with .... d5, bring him to make a decision with .... c5. A "late Slav" with .... c6.

I am not sure of this statement: IF you can bottleneck your opponents choices, making them fewer, then your job is easier.

d4 games can have that edge, perhaps, but by a more skilled mind than my own. I sometimes play like a "greedy" Tal. That is to say, I rarely sacrifice (Bobby Fischer said once that he had it worked down to sac, sac, and checkmate, when playing anybody) without seeing that I can get back the piece or some recompense.

There is a movie called "TROY" and in it, a young child says to Achilles, "He is so big. I wouldn't want to fight him," and Achilles answers back, "That is why no one will remember your name,"

I sincerely doubt of my up and coming this late in life.

But...watch out, eh? I'm always looking to improve.

d=^))

ian77efc

c4 as first move? is the english opening 

transpo

3...Bb4+, 3...h6, 3...d5, 3...c5, 3...b6, 3...c6 are all playable alternatives for Black.

1.d4 Nf6 2.Bg5 Ne4 is also an acceptable and playable alternative for Black.

Fear_ItseIf
transpo wrote:

1.d4 Nf6 2.Bg5 Ne4 is also an acceptable and playable alternative for Black

yes, infact its mainline

Fear_ItseIf

You're right, ive played the Bc1 variation, but not the 5.nd2.
Though I believe 5.Bc1 to be the main variation

Looking at wells book he doesn't look too favourably on it, giving the following line.

Fear_ItseIf
pfren wrote:

I like 2...e6 myself. It's as safe as it gets, and also quite ambitious.

what do you think of the mainline e4 h6 continuation?

Its weird cause I know white should be ok, but it seems blacks position is simply easier, which is why I transpose to the torre.

Fear_ItseIf

very odd and interesting game.

cant say im completely convined by c4 though. However, your moves with the queen are not needed. you could continue in a number of ways e6, maybe even g6(?!). The point being for now the c4 pawn is untouchable due to Qb4+. So some improvement could be made there.
Since the Qa5 b5 idea puts your queen between a pawn and a hard place.

Ater move 7 I quite like whites position, blacks queen is a little off side and white can claim centre with f3 (qd4 i do not like so much, id rather keep option of having a knigh there at some stage) perhaps nf3 is better with some flexibility.

I think 17.Be3 was a critical mistake, firstly it created horrible weakness, but trading off pieces when your opponent is in a cramped position is a well known no-no.

Still, its interesting if you have any more analysis, or sample games id like to see them.

waffllemaster

I had a running Tromp battle with a club mate for about a month beginning 1. d4 Nf6 2. Bg5 Ne4 3. Bh4 c5 4. f3 g5 5. fxe4 gxh4

The positions became so odd I coudln't correctly evaluate moves, so I switched to 2...e6 and he stopped playing it  Tongue Out

2...d5 looks sane as well.

Fear_ItseIf

Id agree 2..d5 is probably the best way to meet it, though i still think white has a slight advantage, not that it matters..after all if i were chasing an advantage I wouldn't play the trompowsky in the first place.

2..e6 im not so convinced by, white has a few option including 3.e4, after which play can be somewhat unbalanced and 3.nf3 transposing into torre lines, which is what I do, to keep the possibility of a complicated game open (hoping for spassky gambit, wagner, or the likes) 

Ambassador_Spock