Forums

What is the absolute worst first move white can play?

Sort:
StrategicPlay
tamachi wrote:

Out of the potential 20 opening moves White could start off with...

Which one is considered to be the worst one?

Doesn't really matter what you start off with.. you can always transpose it to a better opening.

Scottrf
Lady-in-Red wrote:

What about 1. xd8 :-)

That's the best first move. Almost unbeatable.

StrategicPlay
snakesbelly wrote:

StrategicPlay wrote:

tamachi wrote:

Out of the potential 20 opening moves White could start off with...

Which one is considered to be the worst one?

Doesn't really matter what you start off with.. you can always transpose it to a better opening.

Oh Master ! Teach us more. Don't bring your anti-revolutionary drivel to a good thread panda boy , I am still your father and I'm telling you 1. a3 is bad.

Better mind your own business.. not planning to counter your stupid comments right now.

Dark_Falcon
TheGrobe wrote:
theoreticalboy wrote:
Shadowknight911 wrote:
Dark_Falcon wrote:
Shadowknight911 wrote:

did anyone notice in the movie Knights of the South Bronx that the girl played e4 and then Ke2 in her first 2 moves?

Maybe she was a Bongcloud-Master?!?

wow, never knew that that was actually an opening.  And I actually see threads on this opening - I thought it was some drug joke or something like that.

This is totally rad.

The joke's transcendence is pretty awesome.

Its not only an opening, its a religion...Innocent 

benonidoni

F3

ponz111

After more reflection 1. h4 is not that bad.  By process of elimination the only move I see that might be theoretically losing is 1. g4.

Dark_Falcon
ponz111 wrote:

After more reflection 1. h4 is not that bad.  By process of elimination the only move I see that might be theoretically losing is 1. g4.

Show me the refutation of 1.g4....you cant be serious if you really think that 1.h4 and 1.f3 are better than the Grob! Surprised

The Grob is definitely underestimated!

Phelon

like i said at the beginning Nh3 and Na3

MSC157
browni3141 wrote:

1. h4 is the worst in my opinion. At least f3 controls the center. There's no way the worst move is Na3 or Nh3 developing a piece.

1. h4 does almost nothing except weaken the kingside. 1. a4 may be second worst.

+1 :)

CHCL

Every computer says it is f3.

ClavierCavalier

1. f3 and 2. g4 are the worst, at least if the black can play 2. Qh4#.

bluesleepingfriend2
Dark_Falcon wrote:
paul211 wrote:

Flipping the board!

Seriously any move that does not take any direct control of the center by occupying one of the center square or indirectly such as playing 1...c5.

Moves such as 1.a3, a4, h3, h4, f3, g4, Nh3 or Na3, all of these moves take no control of the center squares that are the springboard to enter the opponents territory and or block the opponent from entering your territory.

The way to respond to these move is simply for you to play your normal development moves controlling the center, castling, developping pieces and protecting all pieces that you develop including protecting any unoccupied squares in your territory to prevent any incursion or penetration.

In other words follow your game plan and after 10+ moves you will be ahead I guaranty it. I do not tell you that you will win the game, I am telling you that you will gain an advantage in the game with pieces positioned on critical squares that will enable you to launch an attack against the opponents King.

I dont agree with you that youre ahead after 10 moves+ when your opponent plays 1.a3 or 1.h3, its only a reversed opening, not more, not less...if you were right, that would mean vice versa, that your automatically always be ahead with white after 10 natural moves against Sicilian, Ruy Lopez, QGD, and so on...

And you have to pay respect to the mighty Grob 1.g4!!!

Yeah definitely respect the Grob, the best meme opening and its cousin the Borg (1. e4 g5)

bluesleepingfriend2

The grob even lets you fianchetto your bishop, and anything with that fancy of a name must be good!

NumerousBadgers

Easily 1. g4. It has the exact same weaknesses as 1. f3, but is more likely to lose a pawn.

Bai_Pardeshko
definitely na3 like who does that lol
Henrook
G4 is the Worst frist move i hive -1,8 to black
exceptionalfork

I think 1.f3. Not only does it weaken your king, it also blocks the best place to put your knight in the opening.

darkunorthodox88
Bai_Pardeshko wrote:
definitely na3 like who does that lol

1.na3 is borderline ok. 1.na3 d5 2.c4 or 1.na3 e5 2.nc4 nc6 3e4 make sense. Even allowing Bxa3 is not so terrible as you get the bishop pair.

anyit

The worst first move you can play in a chess game is an illegal move, you will lose after 2 or 3 illegal moves.

darkunorthodox88

human opinion usually puts 1.f3 there, reasoning being that it blocks the knight and weakens the king, although if white plays it like a reversed french with a premature f6 thrown in, white's position is somewhat salvageable. 
i think you can make a case from a human perspective for 1.nh3, except after 2.g3 3.bg2 (and sometimes d4!?) white can at least relocate the knight to f4 and the position almost makes sense.
1.h4 is a stronger candidate methinks because unlike 1.a4 where the rook pawn thrust can sometimes be useful (e.g a kia/reversed pirc where a4 slows down kingside expansion) it is really not easy to find a white opening or even a reversed black opening where the premature h4 is helpful. Closest i can come up with is maybe a reversed winawer french where h4 stops qg5 lol and even then 3.nd7 ruins that idea!
but interestingly, computers think 1.g4 is the worst as it seems its weakening of the kingside is too great. This is unfortunate because 1.g4 actually has a flavor and some theory behind it , but it simply doesnt hold to computer scrutiny. Even the late Mr. Basman, the world authority on g4 at some point admitted that its prob busted. It was likely computers that that finally convinced him although he kept playing it because he was retired by then, and his primary reasoning for playing this way was to make people think.
so tldr, 1.f3,1.nh3 and 1.h4 are top contenders in so far as lacking coherent plan of play, but objectively 1.g4 may be worse despite having pseudo-coherent piece placement according to comps.