Forums

Which openings give you the most trouble?

Sort:
fischer-inactive

Which openings give you the most trouble?

For me, the French is very difficult to play against, even more so than the Sicilian. As Black, the Taimanov (or Flick-Knife) Variation of the Benoni has forced me to give up playing 1 d4 Nf6 2 c4 c5. I now only play the Benoni after White has played Nf3, which blocks the dreaded f-pawn.

Patzer24

I hate playing black against 1. d4, always the c8 bishop ends up being bad. Either it is stuck behind away from the action, or when I try to develop the c8 bishop then I get killed on the b7 square.

I am still looking for a good system to play against 1. d4, any suggestions? Innocent

fleiman
MattHelfst wrote:

I hate playing black against 1. d4, always the c8 bishop ends up being bad. Either it is stuck behind away from the action, or when I try to develop the c8 bishop then I get killed on the b7 square.

I am still looking for a good system to play against 1. d4, any suggestions?

What do you think about Volgesky Gambit in Benony:

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 c5 3. d5 b5 4. cxb5 a6

You have a sharp game and there are no problems with the Bishop on c8.

likesforests

The Slav and Semi-Slav as Black. It seems like White gets too much attack for that pawn, and Black only hangs on by a thread. I've been much happier since I switched to the Nimzo-Indian and Queen's Indian defenses.

XameleoN
LaughingHow do you think ??Laughing
fischer-inactive
MattHelfst wrote:

I am still looking for a good system to play against 1. d4, any suggestions?

Ironically, a friend and I the other day were talking about this very subject. That light-squared bishop can really be a nuisance at times. It kills me in the Dutch Leningrad, and I can't wait to trade that thing off at the first opportunity in the Benoni.

Maybe you should try the Nimzo? (I like to fianchetto that bishop whenever possible in that line.)

UberCryxic
Weirdly enough, the King's Gambit when I'm black......
FerrusKG
I don't like all kinds of queen gambit(including Semi-Slav etc), but I often play    1.d4 hoping my opponent will play Nimzo-Indian defence what is my favorite whether I play black or white.
Etienne
UberCryxic wrote: Weirdly enough, the King's Gambit when I'm black......

Why do you find this weird?

erik
d4 as black. other than that i usually control the opening with king's indian structures.
Sprite

I love all openings =D

I sometimes play poorly against openings I don't know, panicking instead of trying to play for basic development.

chesskia

I think a combined repetoire of Bog/ Nimzo-Indian as sugguested by Roman Dzin,Lev Alburt, and Eugene Pereishteyn.All my piece get play. I've tried many others until I settled on this plan. Matt try it.

ericmittens
Any D-pawn opening where white does not play 2.c4 gives me big headaches. Mostly because I dont know any theory on these openings and white usually specializes.
ivandh
I don't like positional games like the French Defense, where it is very difficult to maneuver and some moves have to be seen well in advance.
fischer-inactive
ericmittens wrote:Any D-pawn opening where white does not play 2.c4 gives me big headaches. Mostly because I dont know any theory on these openings and white usually specializes.

I hear you because 1 d4 without 2 c4 usually leads to a dull, boring game (assuming 3 c4 isn't played). If your reply is 1 d4 Nf6, then you might want to give 2 ... c5 a try. It immediately opens up your queenside and puts pressure on the d4-square.)

fischer-inactive
It probably makes no sense to him either.  Smile
fischer-inactive
That's hilarious. Tell him the only problem is that he's not a GM.  Wink
likesforests

1.a3?! avoids opening theory, doesn't create any serious weaknesses, and may lead to your opponents underestimating you. Svidler, Leko, Morozevich, Chigorin, Anderssen, and Mieses all used it against unsuspecting opponents.

Of course, they were facing booked-up, GM-strength opponents.
likesforests
Tell him whatever you need to so he keeps playing it and you keep getting the advantage out of the opening. Tongue out
fischer-inactive
likesforests wrote:

1.a3?! avoids opening theory, doesn't create any serious weaknesses, and may lead to your opponents underestimating you. Svidler, Leko, Morozevich, Chigorin, Anderssen, and Mieses all used it against unsuspecting opponents.

Of course, they were facing booked-up, GM-strength opponents.

That reminds me of the time Tony Miles played 1 ... a6!? against Karpov..........and WON. Karpov was really ticked after that one.