ajian

by the way, why not ...0-0 e4? and the a3 line is not bad, either

VLaurenT

but maybe 12...d5 13.Nb5 Qc8 rather than 13...Nb4

VLaurenT
ajian wrote:

by the way, why not ...0-0 e4? and the a3 line is not bad, either

sure, this is a game Smile

My point was that the positions after 4.Qc2 0-0 might be a bit easier to handle as black than those arising after 4.Qc2 c5

ajian

Nb5 Qb8 is better, Qc8 runs into the annoying Nd6

ajian

Sorry, I forgot d5 was playedEmbarassed but Qc8 runs into Bxf6. Qd8 is better

TwoMove

12...d5 13.Nb5 Qe7 is best according to Houdini, but all the time you are worried about Nb5. Why not play a6 some point to prevent it?

The "main line" popular with FIDE 2700+ at moment is  4...0.0 5a3 BxN 6QxB d5 rather than 6...b6. The same position can be reached after 4...d5 5a3 It depends on whether prefer facing 4...0.0 5e4 or 4...d5 5pxp.

ajian

by the way why not Qc2 c5 a3?

ajian

and why not 4...d5 5.a3

TwoMove

4....d5 5a3 can lead to position popular with FIDE 2700+ currently i.e 5...BxN  6QxN 0.0 there are also older lines with 6...Ne4.

blake78613
ajian wrote:

I looked on a database for this opening. you are better than an opening database at openings?

I would hope so.  Data bases are unable to think.  If you are following a database without understanding the moves, you are not playing an opening you are mimicking like a monkey.   Playing moves that you don't understand can only lead to disaster as your game illustrates.

ajian

I know why these moves are played. I have FCo

ajian

fundamental chess openings. by the way there is game explorer and other databases, all of which say 4...0-0 the most popular, followed by 4...c5 and 4...d5, and then 4...Nc6.

TwoMove

After 1.d4 Nf6 2c4 e6 3Nc3 Bb4 4Qc2 c5 5a3 then after 5...BxNch 6QxN (persumably 6pxN not a problem for a Nimzo player) 6...pxp 7QxN Nc6 black gets tempos on the queen, but black chould get weak on black squares if doesn't play active enough. So not really sure why 5a3 so much less popular than 5pxp.

ajian

Reason I don't play d4 Nf6 c4 e6 Nf3 as white is because of the QID.

Ray42594
ajian wrote:

Reason I don't play d4 Nf6 c4 e6 Nf3 as white is because of the QID.

If you're not a fan of theory, a good continuation is the ...b6, g3 Ba6 Nbd2 line in the QID. It is quite simple and promising for white. I play the QID and that line isn't easy to crack.

ajian

yeah, and I hate it when my opponent does the slipped bishop ...b5 variation.

ajian
RapidGeneralX wrote:
Estragon wrote:

Strange how some kids with no real experience get a database or a book and think they are experts on an opening.

The fact is that in the last several years, 3 Nf3 has been played more often than 3 Nc3 at the master level, and that isn't because the Nimzoindian is so weak.  Those numbers don't include the pure Catalan, either, the popularity of which rebounded as GMs found it ever tougher to get an meaningful advantage vs the NID.

Just out of curiosity, who here plays the bogo indian against the Nf3 line? or do you transpose into a QID? I prefer the QID, but that's just my personal preference.

I play the BID or QGD. (by the way The QGA is too complicated for me. I'm scared of 4.Nc3 which I play myself