Forums

Bio of Paul Morphy

Sort:
DBucky8

This is actually my 11th grade English research paper on a famous American who died before 1960. Just wanted to see what you all thought. Any suggestions or critisisms are welcome.

Paul Morphy had everything necessary for success that one could think of. He had a wealthy family, was a hard worker, had an astounding mind, and was well liked by nearly all the people he knew. Yet throughout his life he was met with failure and sadness. His near perfect circumstances and tumultuous final year of life earned him the nickname by which he will forever be remembered, “The Pride and Sorrow of Chess.”

If the success of the previous generation has any noticeable effect on posterity then the young Morphy was bound for great things. Born on June 22, 1837 Paul Charles Morphy was the son of Alonzo Morphy, and a young Creole named Louise Carpentier, both of which were from prominent New Orleans families. Throughout his life Morphy's father had many high paying and prestigious jobs. He was a lawyer, Louisiana state legislator, attorney general, and even a Supreme Court justice. These circumstances came together to give Paul the many things a person needed to thrive at that time, and insure him the finest education available to maximize his potential.

Morphy was born with an amazing mind. The majority of people born under these circumstances would be content with what they had, but not young Paul. He worked hard and excelled at his early schooling, and learned how to play chess near the age of ten. In 1850, he was accepted to Spring Hill College in Mobile, Alabama. He graduated in 1854, but stayed an extra year to learn as much as he could there. He graduated again the following year, this time with an A.M. degree with the highest honors. Continuing his college studies, he next went to the University of Louisiana to study law. Paul graduated and received a L.L.M. degree on April 4, 1857. In preparation for receiving the degree, it is said that he memorized the entire Louisiana Book of Codes and Laws.

Aside from his academic excellence, Paul Morphy achieved a large amount of success in the chess world before he ever left for college at Spring Hill. He was the first recognized chess prodigy to become an exceptionally strong chess player as a boy. According to his uncle, Ernest Morphy, no one formally taught Morphy how to play chess; rather, Morphy learned on his own as a young child simply from watching others play. He demonstrated this feat when his father and Ernest were playing one night. When the game was over and Ernest had lost, Morphy astounded them by declaring that Ernest should’ve won. Then he proceeded to set the position back up and played through the game while they looked on dumbfounded.

When Morphy was ten, General Winfield Scott visited New Orleans. Scott, who was a formidable player himself, wished to be challenged by a strong player, so he sent his aids to search out a worthy opponent. That night when the young Morphy was brought to Scott, the general was at first offended; believing it to be an insult. However, after Paul won both games, one in a laughable six moves, Scott and his severely bruised ego retired for the night.

When he was twelve, Morphy played three games against a Professional Chess Master, Johann Lowenthal. By the twelfth move in the first game Lowenthal realized he was not playing with a boy who was merely skilled, but gifted. Each time Morphy made a good move, Lowenthal’s eyebrows shot up in a manner described by Ernest Morphy as “comique.” Lowenthal lost all three games he and Morphy played. The following year Morphy was considered the finest chess player in all of New Orleans.

After the young man had completed all of his academic studies he still was not of legal age to practice law, and so at the urging of his uncle, he decided to take on the best players in America at the 1857 U.S. Chess Congress. He defeated all the strong competition, including the German Master Louis Paulsen in the final round, and was hailed as the best player in the whole United States at the age of twenty. The people loved him. In the December 1857 issue of Chess Monthly it was stated that “his genial disposition, his unaffected modesty and gentlemanly courtesy have endeared him to all his acquaintances.”

Still unable to start a law career Paul decided to travel to Europe and challenge all of the best Masters throughout the world. In 1858, Morphy met and defeated every great European player except Howard Staunton. He even played a match with a German Master Adolf Anderssen while severely ill with influenza, and won handily. Paul also gave multiple blindfold and simultaneous chess exhibitions while in both Britain and France. Morphy was never able however, to play a series of games against the Englishman Howard Staunton, who was at the time considered the best player in the world; though it was not for lack of effort. Staunton knew that he would be beat because he was well past his prime, so he simply avoided Morphy at all costs for the better part of a year. After these victories, Morphy was for a time believed to be the finest player in the world, and is still considered one of two unofficial World Chess Champions (Staunton and Morphy.) After his return from Europe, he infrequently played matches where the opponent received knight and rook odds; winning with very few exceptions. Morphy officially retired from chess in 1863.

He returned to the United States at the age of twenty-one to parades and banquets in his honor. One banquet in Boston was attended by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and the president of Harvard, and another was attended by the President's son, John Van Buren, who even toasted Morphy. After this triumphant return Morphy played a move no one saw coming, he abruptly abandoned chess to focus on his law career. Unfortunately, this aspect of his life never quite got off the ground. At one time he even had a girl refuse to marry him because he was “a mere chess player.” Many contribute his lack of success in law to the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861. Morphy did not agree with succession, and spent most of the war traveling to Paris, and Havana, Cuba. When the war ended, his law career still did not succeed and he retired. Depression soon followed, and his family's immense wealth allowed him to spend most of the rest of his life in idleness.

As Morphy aged, he started to manifest symptoms of severe paranoia. Paul told his mother that people were out to get him. He insisted that people were trying to poison him and that others wanted to set fire to his clothes. At times he could be found walking the streets of the French Quarter talking to invisible people. During these years he would only eat food prepared by his mother or sister. Morphy also became reclusive and had very little to do with anyone other than his family and a small group of friends. While Paul Morphy sounds quite crazy in these accounts, when he was visited by the first official World Chess Champion Wilhelm Steinitz in 1883, Steinitz said, “Morphy is a most interesting man to talk to. He is shrewd and practical and apparently in excellent health.” This leads some to believe possibly he wasn’t as crazy as first thought.

A year later, on July 10, 1884, Paul Charles Morphy was found dead in his bathtub at the age of forty-seven. The autopsy showed that he died of a stroke brought on by entering cold water after a long walk in the middle of a hot New Orleans summer day. He would later be dubbed “The Pride and Sorrow of Chess” by David Lawson, the author of the book which is the only full length biography of Paul Morphy.

AreYouSure

I found it very easy to read, and good also :)

DBucky8

thanks allot AreYouSure, im glad.

Theempiremaker

Good work.

DBucky8

thank you

crisy

That reads very nicely. You've obviously thought carefully and creatively about the structure and the way it flows, even for a short piece.

DBucky8

funny story. While i was posting the paper here I was reading through it and realized that I had said the Civil War started in 1865:).... so chess.com helped me get a better grade!

spoiler_alert

Not bad, and I would agree with crisy's assessment above, but if you're looking for constructive criticism just a few points:

Morphy was born with an amazing mind. The majority of people born under these circumstances would be content with what they had, but not young Paul. He worked hard and excelled at his early schooling, and learned how to play chess near the age of ten.

One I think should strive for objectivity and detachment as opposed to veneration, also to not make value judgments, and also to characterize through examples rather than through adjectives. 

On what authority do you assert what the majority of people born in his circumstances would be content with.  Are you saying that people born into his circumstances generally don't work hard in school?  Also have you settled the nature vs. nurture debate by merely assuming that he was born with an "amazing mind."  Also I (and many others) learned to play younger than 10.  You also seem to be ascribing transcendent attributes to him by talking about his "amazing mind".

That night when the young Morphy was brought to Scott, the general was at first offended; believing it to be an insult.

What exactly did the general say or do to convey this?  No only would that be compelling but establish your statement above wasn't merely hearsay.

Also you never talked about what was unique about Morphy's chess play - presumably that is what would be most of interest to people reading this article (i.e. assuming they were interested in chess).

I personally just started studying Morphy's games last week, and what struck me is the seeming simplicity and clarity.  Its very easy to follow what he's trying to do, presumably for his opponent as well, but it doesn't matter - the outcome is inevitable.  This is in contrast to the play of someone like Fisher, who it is sometimes very hard to understand what he's doing.

Many contribute his lack of success in law to the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861. Morphy did not agree with succession, and spent most of the war traveling to Paris, and Havana, Cuba

Its 'secession'.

Niven42

Be sure to cite your references.  Good luck - hope you get a good grade on it!

goldendog

Good job on Mr. Morphy.

DBucky8

Thank you very much everyone and especially Eberwulf. Not many people in my school are interested in chess so I tryed to stay away from much discussion of his style. Good call spotting the "succession" is actually secession... I knew this, but missed it in all my looks at it.

batgirl

Not bad. Concise, taut and well written.

My thoughts - take them (or leave them) in the friendly spirit that I offer them. 

-Although it's her given first name I'd never known Morphy's mother to be referred to as "Louise."  It's always Thelcide or, more familiarly, Telcide. 
-Paul's second win over Gen. Scott wasn't a six-mover. After 6 moves, Morphy announced a force mate (according to the 1846 article in the Evening Post - the article that describes Scott's indignant reaction to Morphy's youth).
-Morphy never had an autopsy. The doctor who arrived claimed he died of "congestion of the brain," a diagnosis later echoed by Maurian. 
-The summary seemed to suggest that Morphy left New Orleans during the Civil War because he was anti-secession.  While it's true that Morphy was against secession, most authorities agree that he left New Orleans to avoid having to take the oath of allegience to the United States, the refusal of which would cause his property to be confiscated.
-The Staunton affair was far more complex that the unfair notion that Staunton was afraid to play Morphy.

A very good observation that Morphy was probably not as looney as most people seem to believe.

DBucky8

Thanks batgirl i will try to work in all suggestions and will repost if I feel it has changed enough.

DBucky8

Wondering if there was any specific place to find the information about the oath of allegiance you were talking about batgirl?

batgirl

This proclamation from Gen Butler (from The Private and Official Correspondence of Gen. Benjamin F. Butler)  should suffice.

batgirl

From General Butler in New Orleans by James Parton:

General Butler continued his preparations for enforcing the confiscation act. The day after the expiration of the sixty days' grace, the following general order was issued:

New Orleans, September 24, 1662.

"All persons, male or female, within this department, of the age of eighteen years and upward, who have ever been citizens of the United States, and have not renewed their allegiance before this date to the United States or who now hold or pretend any allegiance or sympathy with the so-called Confederate States, are ordered to report themselves, on or before the first day of October next, to the nearest provost-marshal, with a descriptive list of all their property and rights of property, both real, personal and mixed, made out and signed by themselves respectively, with the same particularity as for taxation. They shall also report their place of residence by number, street, or other proper description, and their occupation, which registry shall be signed by themselves, and each shall receive a certificate from the marshal of registration as claiming to be an enemy of the United States.

"Any persons, of those described in this order, neglecting so to register themselves, shall be subject to fine, or imprisonment at hard labor, or both, and all his or her property confiscated, by order, as punishment for such neglect.

"On the first day of October next, every householder shall return to the provost-marshal nearest him, a list of each inmate in his or her house, of tho age of eighteen years or upward, which list shall contain the following particulars : The name, sex, age and occupation of each inmate, whether a registered alien, one who has taken the oath of allegiance to the United States, a registered enemy of the United States, or one who has neglected to register himself or herself, either as an alien, a loyal citizen, or a registered enemy. All householders neglecting to make such returns, or making a false return, shall be punished by fine, or imprisonment with hard labor, or both."

DBucky8

thank you very much batgirl.

batgirl

pas de quois.

Kneelbeforeyourlord

I believe the unique aspect of Morphy's play was that he brought all of his pieces into play before attacking.  This allowed Morphy's tactical play to flow more easily than his predecessors.  

I liked your piece, but agree with one of the commentators that examples are more interesting than adjectives.  Readers can draw their own conclusions if given enough examples of historical relevance. 

thanks 

DBucky8

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p.P1, li.P1, div.P1 {mso-style-name:P1; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; line-height:200%; mso-pagination:none; mso-layout-grid-align:none; font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p.P2, li.P2, div.P2 {mso-style-name:P2; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; line-height:200%; mso-pagination:none; mso-layout-grid-align:none; font-size:12.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> And here it is with all suggestions i've recieved so far worked into the paper as best as I could. Please continue to critique:)

Paul Morphy had everything necessary for success that one could think of. He had a wealthy family, was a hard worker, had an astounding mind, and was well liked by nearly all the people he knew. Yet throughout his life he was met with failure and sadness. His near perfect circumstances and tumultuous final year of life earned him the nickname by which he will forever be remembered, “The Pride and Sorrow of Chess.”

If the success of the previous generation has any noticeable effect on posterity then the young Morphy was bound for great things. Born on June 22, 1837 Paul Charles Morphy was the son of Alonzo Morphy, and a young Creole named Louise Carpentier, both of which were from prominent New Orleans families. Throughout his life Morphy's father had many high paying and prestigious jobs. He was a lawyer, Louisiana state legislator, attorney general, and even a Louisiana Supreme Court justice. These circumstances came together to give Paul the many things a person needed to thrive at that time, and insure him the finest education available to maximize his potential.

Morphy was born with an amazing mind. The majority of people born under these circumstances would be content with what they had, but not young Paul. He worked hard and excelled at his early schooling, and learned how to play chess near the age of ten. In 1850, he was accepted to Spring Hill College in Mobile, Alabama. He graduated in 1854, but stayed an extra year to learn as much as he could there. He graduated again the following year, this time with an A.M. degree with the highest honors. Continuing his college studies, he next went to the University of Louisiana (now Tulane University) to study law. Paul graduated and received a L.L.M. degree on April 4, 1857. In preparation for receiving the degree, it is said that he memorized the entire Louisiana Book of Codes and Laws. At this young age he was also able to fluently speak English, Spanish, French, and German.

Aside from his academic excellence, Paul Morphy achieved a large amount of success in the chess world before he ever left for college at Spring Hill. He was the first recognized chess prodigy to become an exceptionally strong chess player as a boy. According to his uncle, Ernest Morphy, no one formally taught Morphy how to play chess; rather, Morphy learned on his own as a young child simply from watching others play. He demonstrated this feat when his father and Ernest were playing one night. When the game was over and Ernest had lost, Morphy astounded them by declaring that Ernest should’ve won. Then he proceeded to set the position back up and played through the game while they looked on dumbfounded. When Morphy was ten, General Winfield Scott visited New Orleans. Scott, who was a formidable player himself, wished to be challenged by a strong player, so he sent his aids to search out a worthy opponent. According to an 1846 article in the “Evening Post” that night when the young Morphy was brought to Scott, the general was at first offended; believing it to be an insult. However, after Paul won both games, one in which he announced a forced mate after only six moves the visibly upset Scott and his bruised ego retired for the night.

When he was twelve, Morphy played three games against a Professional Chess Master, Johann Lowenthal. By the twelfth move in the first game Lowenthal realized he was not playing with a boy who was merely skilled, but gifted. Each time Morphy made a good move, Lowenthal’s eyebrows shot up in a manner described by Ernest Morphy as “comique.” Lowenthal lost all three games he and Morphy played. The following year Morphy was considered the finest chess player in all of New Orleans.

After the young man had completed all of his academic studies he still was not of legal age to practice law, and so at the urging of his uncle, he decided to take on the best players in America at the 1857 U.S. Chess Congress. He defeated all the strong competition, including the German Master Louis Paulsen in the final round, and was hailed as the best player in the whole United States at the age of twenty. The people loved him. In the December 1857 issue of Chess Monthly it was stated that “his genial disposition, his unaffected modesty and gentlemanly courtesy have endeared him to all his acquaintances.”

Still unable to start a law career Paul decided to travel to Europe and challenge all of the best Masters throughout the world. In 1858, Morphy met and defeated every great European player except Howard Staunton. He even played a match with a German Master Adolf Anderssen while severely ill with influenza, and won handily. Paul also gave multiple blindfold and simultaneous chess exhibitions while in both Britain and France. Morphy was never able however, to play a series of games against the Englishman Howard Staunton, who was at the time considered the best player in the world; though it was not for lack of effort. Staunton knew that he would be beat because he was well past his prime, so he simply avoided Morphy for the better part of a year. After these victories, Morphy was for a time believed to be the finest player in the world, and is still considered one of two unofficial World Chess Champions (Staunton and Morphy.) After his return from Europe, he infrequently played matches where the opponent received knight and rook odds; winning with very few exceptions. Morphy officially retired from chess in 1863.

He returned to the United States at the age of twenty-one to parades and banquets in his honor. One banquet in Boston was attended by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow and the president of Harvard, and another was attended by the President's son, John Van Buren, who even toasted Morphy. After this triumphant return Morphy played a move no one saw coming, he abruptly abandoned chess to focus on his law career. Unfortunately, this aspect of his life never quite got off the ground. At one time he even had a girl refuse to marry him because he was “a mere chess player.” Many contribute his lack of success in law to the outbreak of the Civil War in 1861. When the Union Army under General Butler captured New Orleans he forced all citizens above the age of eighteen to take an oath of allegiance to the United States or face fines, hard labor, or even confiscation of all property. Morphy did not agree with secession, but avoided taking the oath or any penalties for not doing so by spending most of the Civil War traveling to Paris, and Havana, Cuba. When the war ended, his law career still did not succeed and he retired. Depression soon followed, and his family's immense wealth allowed him to spend most of the rest of his life in idleness.

As Morphy aged, he started to manifest symptoms of severe paranoia and became rather eccentric. Paul told his mother that people were out to get him. He insisted that people were trying to poison him and that others wanted to set fire to his clothes. At times he could be found walking the streets of the French Quarter talking to invisible people. During these years he would only eat food prepared by his mother or sister. Morphy also became reclusive and had very little to do with anyone other than his family and a small group of friends. While Paul Morphy sounds quite crazy in these accounts, when he was visited by the first official World Chess Champion Wilhelm Steinitz in 1883, Steinitz said, “Morphy is a most interesting man to talk to. He is shrewd and practical and apparently in excellent health.” This leads some to believe possibly he wasn’t as crazy as first thought.

A year later, on July 10, 1884, Paul Charles Morphy was found dead in his bathtub at the age of forty-seven. The autopsy showed that he died of a stroke brought on by entering cold water after a long walk in the middle of a hot New Orleans summer day. He would later be dubbed “The Pride and Sorrow of Chess” by David Lawson, the author of the book which is the only full length biography of Paul Morphy.