Forums

Greatest Player Ever 960 Challenge

Sort:
purple_fish_of_doom

At any time of the year it does not take long trailing through any online chat relating to chess, no matter what the topic, for matters to get down to - who is the greatest chess player of all time?

Today, during the World Championship between the 15th and 16th undisputed World Champions Anand and Carlsen, this is more the case than at any other time with discussion ranging from private game conversations between beginers to indepth analysis by chess.com (http://www.chess.com/article/view/the-all-time-world-chess-champion-bracket).

No matter if the debate centers around recognised World Champions or not, opinions are always hinged on one issue; the development of modern theory. Paul Morphey would not stand a chance against any modern GM simply because of the theoretical additions to opening theory since his own time.

Now I must temper this by stating that my own chess knowledge is by any means not deep, my online rating is around 1500, and this is far more a question than it is an assertion to bring these matters to a head. In saying that though could we not circumvent all these common issues by changing the question from 'who is the greatest chess player of all time' to 'who is the greatest chess960 player of all time'?

This might look as much of a non-starter as the original question, after all chess960 has not existed for the majority of time chess has so how could we expect Morphey or the like to compete with players of today familiar with the variant?

No doubt this formulation raises its own set of problems to contend with, yet these problems do strike me (in my blisfull ignorance) as being far easier to solve. For an examlple, whilst it is impossible to compare the games between say Steinitz and Fischer due to the chess developments regarding opening theory in between their career, it should be possible to compare their games from beyond theoretical positions of their own times, in other words comparing their playing ability from unclear (read random) positions.

In this way one could put these players alongside each other against a computer and see their playing accuracy in novel positions, thus (maybe) creating a plausible foundation to show once and for all who really was the greatest chess player of all time.