Forums

My new chess variant

Sort:
gambit13

I've seen lots of chess variants over the years but mine surpasses them all. It should even replace chess as we know it altogether. Its not better than chess but is more sophisticated and challenging than normal chess. It is creatively named Ssehc (chess backwards) and offers a whole new dimension to chess.

Ssehc is played on a regular chess board and starts from this position:

All standard chess rules apply, except for castling of course (which I see as cheating Tongue out)

What do you think of this new game which is clearly more sophisticated and challenging than regular chess.

Feel free to praise my greatness.

Credit for my inspiration goes to creatip who showed how new chess variants can be made.

Before anyone asks, I am considering adding both lasers, phasers and sharks to add new interest.

Any input would be highly appreciated.

iainauch

With black already two rooks down and about to lose a bishop, it could be easy for white!!

HGHG

guess black needs a handicap of playing 2 moves for every one move of white Tongue out

gambit13
iainauch wrote:

With black already two rooks down and about to lose a bishop, it could be easy for white!!

By black not having rooks, It makes it more challenging for black Tongue out

gambit13

Haven't seen that kind of board before but it looks like it actually makes sense

trysts

Stunning! I am, oddly, glad I lived long enough to witness genius of this caliber! It's really not a game. In fact, to call it a game is an insult! It has a dorsal fin quality to it, only found in the great oceans of the world. And where chess is moving more towards lasers, this "game" seems to anticipate micro-wave-anti-gravitational-quantum-nano-string-particles, which chess sadly seems to ignore. Cry

I'm only crying because I'm happy, for the first time in my life...Cry

Knightvanguard
AnthonyCG wrote:

A similar variant:

Now this would be a challenge.  It would be neat just as a conversational object. I saved the photo. However, I do not think it is similar, because all of the chessmen are there. I would like to make a set like this. 

Knightvanguard
AnthonyCG wrote:
Crosspinner wrote:
AnthonyCG wrote:

A similar variant:

Now this would be a challenge.  It would be neat just as a conversational object. I saved the photo. However, I do not think it is similar, because all of the chessmen are there. I would like to make a set like this. 

I'm not really sure if it's a real variant. I think it's a CG job but it's always hard to tell with grey objects.

I think the board would classify as a variant.  I don't think the gray would be a deterrent as much as the different levels. I think if would be mind boggling, but fun to attempt.  It would be a challenge to make the board, too. 

Cry_Wolf

I don't know if you're serious or not, but if you are.... you should be shot. in the face. with an M134. repeatedly.

Knightvanguard
Godspawn wrote:

Ah yes....Just what the chess world needs, another variant of chess.

I have another variant i want to run by everyone.  Instead of chess pieces, all the pieces are red and black and flat and round.  And you only move diaganally.

Or how about this idea...Instead of a chess board, its a map of the world.  And instead of chess peices, 6 different colored pieces.

I am open to any new chess variant. Why limit anyone from inventing another one?  No one will make anyone play it, at least I hope not.  

I did not know about Seirawan chess until I joined chess.com.  I like it, but not as much as regular chess. One thing I like about it is one does not have to have a different board to play it.  

gambit13

OMG! A new idea for a variant. All the pieces are black on a white chess board, promoting piece and harmony rather than the battle that is chess. What a great way to promote peace. Not being able to actually play chess is only a minor inconvenience.

trysts
gambit13 wrote:

OMG! A new idea for a variant. All the pieces are black on a white chess board, promoting piece and harmony rather than the battle that is chess. What a great way to promote peace. Not being able to actually play chess is only a minor inconvenience.

I mean, did you drink genius juice or something? How can one brain come up with this many brilliant ideas, gambit13????

I'm only crying because noone appreciates you...Cry

KyleJRM

Assuming he meant for black to have two rooks, I'm kinda intrigued by this one. I wonder if optimal strategy would be to try to push your outside passed pawn as white.

trysts
KyleJRM wrote:

Assuming he meant for black to have two rooks, I'm kinda intrigued by this one. I wonder if optimal strategy would be to try to push your outside passed pawn as white.

But that would only win the game, which is hardly the pointLaughing

GMby2012

This is quite a creative work on your part. Way to go! Below is an idea for building on it:

I like this version better, as I believe it has got some features that will enhance your creation:

1. Both sides start with equal material.
  2. Each side has a pair of complementary bishops rather than two bishops that step on each other's toes.
  3. The outcome of the game is less clear -- in your version, on top of having two extra rooks, white can promote his h-pawn unopposed. I do not mean to take away any credit from your creation, but if white always wins with best play from both sides, one normally has little incentive to play with the black pieces. Hey, a game isn't really fun if your opponent has a hard time sharing the fun, is it?

All in all, keep up the effort. Perhaps you will go on to invent a new chess variant that will keep variant enthusiasts entertained for a very long time! :D

kissinger

I think the term  "sophisticated"  and "challenging" are thrown around here a bit too frivously.....just thinking outloud here after looking at the idea...It's a cute academic exercise but won't replace the original version..t/y.

KyleJRM

Maybe add pawns for both sides along the first and eighth ranks to block easy promotion.

theoreticalboy

I hate to ruin the joke, but since a few people seem to be unaware of the creatip reference and keep taking this srsly, I thought I'd point out that there is actually a variant that looks remarkably similar to the OP; pawns move diagonally and capture forwards, junk like that.

The harmony of the all-black pieces, however, is one of those unique ideas that could inspire a generation.

gambit13
Godspawn wrote:

How abour\t PC Chess

There are no black or white pieces

All the pieces and the board are a neutral color, so not to offend anyone or anything. 

No one moves first as that would promote favortism

And everyone wins so no one gets there feelings hurt

There are no bad moves, so no one feels bad about making a mistake.

Everyone finishes first

I think that you are the one genius juice

GMby2012

On second thoughts, we could play bughouse ssehc. Who cares if we're objectively losing if our teammate is equally objectively winning? Besides, it's fun! :D