Forums

New Site Design Feedback

Sort:
Martin_Stahl
Allegretto wrote:

i feel that the new system does not give enough privacy. I think it is an invasion of privacy that anyone can see who my "friends" are. And, i don't feel like knowing who my friends friends are. It is terrible. IT reminds me of the reasons I would never join Facebook.

They are adding additional privacy controls and yesterday evening it was mentioned they will probably be done in the next two days. I don't kow all that is being added but the ability to control who sees the friends list was the part mentioned.

Martin_Stahl
johanpalmaer wrote:

If the button "Next Ready Game" really would work, I guess most players would be greatful. As it is now, when you push that button, you come to another match, which may not necissarily is a match where it's your turn to make a move. If the Next Ready Game-button really worked, then would all players not need to always go through "HOME"when open next game for making a move within. This is a certain issue. I'm surprised that not somany seem the concerned about it. (By the way: The button "Next Ready Game" is now missing in the online chess games but still there in the vote chess games. Make this button work, and I guess most players will be much more satisfied when using the the new format and playing their games.

The next ready game works fine on my online chess. The only time it is not there is if it isn't my turn to move in any game. Still would be nice if that would just allow you to cycle through all the games like it used to and not just games where it is your turn to move.

himath2009
Sooner wrote:

@himath2009. I thoroughly agree with your point about the grotesque prominence the new user interface gives to Notes and the way in which that change tends to distort the fundamental nature of the site (it is, after all, a site for playing chess, not one for socializing), as well as its role in causing the widespread dissatisfaction with the new interface. I join you in the hope that the staff will correct its gross miscalculation in that regard as soon as possible so we can get our minds back onto playing chess and improving the site's integrity by ridding it of cheaters. Remember them?

btw, Gerry, as an experienced SA responsible for one of the stongest groups here, wouldn't you agree that the loss of the FORUM ACTIVITY independent window (vis a vis the current RECENT ACTIVITY window) in the Teams' Home Page (the Notes crowding out important items, again) is a loss?... I have put this to Erik this morning, I hope he sees the point...  

knightchaser

all should just keep providing feedbacks. this is what they do, bugfixing after launch. quality assurance zero

himath2009
Martin_Stahl wrote:
himath2009 wrote:

To test my hypothesis (given that I could not get used to it), I had to resort to something drastic: much as I lament the loss of cherished friends’ notes, I deleted them all… And, surprisingly enough, the New -minus Notes- Look (as in the screen shot below) started to resemble the Old (and very wise in its priorities) Look. And that is something I can get used to.

That was fixed early on for the Home page. Games were moved to the center and Note below that. If someone were to post a note to your page, it would be below the game. Not sure if you were just commenting on the way it was before or the way it was now, so I thought I would mention that.

Moving Notes to the center (and getting games out of footnote status...) was a start. And it shows how alert the staff were in responding to something sensible. Still, it is not enough... Having used it during the next days, and having done my best to get used to it, I am now convinced that Notes should return to the margin, where they always belonged...

chess_kebabs
Omer_Hayyam wrote:

it's very strange babs.

even now i can do zoom in-out and can see the whole page horizontally.

I've noticed some bugs are fixed for some people and not for others. For example themes weren't working for me when the site first went live, for approx. 24-30 hours, but after that it was fine. But I know some members still can't view themes. And like you said the iphone is working fine for you now, but it's not for me, yet. 

FORAA

no i still have problems with iphone (i can't write to forums, i can't make my moves).

but there are some signs, which show me they have started to work on iphone problems. it makes me happy and now i can wait more patiently. :)

chess_kebabs

I tried to move in a game on my iphone. Clicked on the knight and clicked on the square I wanted it to move to but it kept going to a different square even though I wasn't misclicking. So tried to move my Queen instead, same problem.

TheHandShand

Hi Everyone. 

Overall I like the new look of the site. Good job. I particularly like being able to see each game board in the online section without having to scroll over the game title.

The only problem I have is that when I use my Blackberry Bold 9780 to go to Chess.com and try and make a move, you can no longer simply click the piece you'd like to move (at which point it gets highlighted blue) and then the destination square. 

Now I have to first hold down the BB's button while on the piece but unfortunately that also opens a menu. Then I must click the 'back' button to get out of the menu at which point you see the piece is sort of floating above and to the left of the arrow, making it difficult to aim for the square you'd like. For ex, if you'd like to place a piece on d4 the arrow is going to have to be around e2. But then, if a piece is on e2, it will cancel your move, drop the piece you were moving back to where it was, and highlight that piece on e2 as well.

I'd would be really great if the old method of moving pieces stayed. It's very convenient to be able to use my Blackberry when I'm away from my laptop and away from any wifi zones.

Thanks.

TheHandShand

Just noticed a few comments up that Omer_Hayyam says he can't make moves on his iPhone either. (When you own a Blackberry you always assume it has to do the phone/compatability first but maybe not this time.)

martyep

I don't see my earlier post here anymore..... So I'll bring it up again..... Where did you hide the "logout" button folks? Why would you take such a key object and remove it from easy sight? Many of us put our machines in sleep mode..... so now I see I am always logged onto chess, and my opponents have reason to believe I am logged on.... PLUS I no longer get emails telling me I have a move pending because obviously the web site thinks I am already there.

AndTheLittleOneSaid
martyep wrote:

I don't see my earlier post here anymore..... So I'll bring it up again..... Where did you hide the "logout" button folks? Why would you take such a key object and remove it from easy sight? Many of us put our machines in sleep mode..... so now I see I am always logged onto chess, and my opponents have reason to believe I am logged on.... PLUS I no longer get emails telling me I have a move pending because obviously the web site thinks I am already there.

It's the X next to your name at the top.

PLAVIN81

ERIC PLEASE WELL THE NEW CHANGES AS THEY STAND I AGREE WITH YOU THAT UPGRADING IS NOT ONLY NECESARY  THE NEW SITE IS CONCISE AND LENDS MORE TO YOUR OVERALL DESIRE TO PROVIDE A SITE THAT IS STATE OF THE ART

Sooner

My Recent Activity (as it is styled in the new user interface) is always related to chess or The Chess Club. So it is not crowding out what's important in my case, but I do agree with you in principle that the loss of the forum activity independent window tends to cause important matters to be crowded out and distorts the true purpose of the site. I hope you were able to convince Erik.

George1st
[COMMENT DELETED]
unohoo

What happened to the live tournament page you promised last november?

shequan
[COMMENT DELETED]
shequan

not that care all that much. but is there some really significant reason why certain powers were taken from the user in terms of the coloring of certain things and fonts? does the standardization of these things raise the website's "performance" or some technical nonsense?

SailorDoug

Thanks for all your hard work guys, the new site design is an improvement in funtionality and aestethics.

One specific item I'd like to mention that I miss though is the percentages of games won/lost/drawn that used to appear in the rating box. Its available on the stats screen but that means leaving the game screen.

Thanks again, looking great!

Doug

Feydaway

The mentor screen is one big wasteland of white space.  WAY too spartan.  The color design alone has too much white, but on a 1920x1200 screen there is also a gigantic gap of white blankness between the board (on the left) and the information for the lesson on the right.

In general, I like the 'facebooky'/social media friendly design...but, you need to spruce up the color schemes and fonts so the pages are warmer, more inviting, and pleasant. 

Just fix mentor first.  That is HORRIBLE!