Forums

New Site Design Feedback

Sort:
chess_kebabs
netzach wrote:

Well though fully-understanding they are trying their best, curb the actions of this programming-team & instead appoint one experienced in ergonomics/functionality/clearness-of-approach to call the shots...

( preferably an active, chess-playing, group-member, that uses all the features available on the site.)

Michael (Deep-greene) was a member here before joining staff, but not sure if he is working in the actual programming side, but would assume he would notice where functionality has been impaired, or at least for some of the functions. Judging by the fall in functionality I would be agreeing with you Aidan, most, if not all the programmers weren't fully aware of 'all' the functions that were available prior to the upgrade, which would explain the decline of navigational ease here. But I would have expected instruction to have been given to them to first study well the existing functionality of the section or feature the programmer is writing for and be asked to take care not to lose that functionality when writing the new codes. That seems to not have happened. You would assume a programmer would do this anyway, but obviously not, and obviously some need to be told.

Progress = more ease, more features.

On a positive, I have not given up hope that most of the issues will be 'eventually' sorted, hopefully.  I'm not expecting all of them to be but at least most. I say not all because I've had issues on the old site that affected many admins that were never addressed. Mainly to do with team matches. Having the information available of who sent the challenge remain in the team match info, so can chase up later when need to lock. And also to try to get autostart for a date/time to lock set up, as an 'option', with 1 week, 2  weeks, 3 weeks, 4 weeks options. So there is no need to chase up any admins to lock, no need to waste SO MUCH time. I asked for both of these features to be added both in the Site Suggestions forums where they were supported by many other admins, and also I sent tickets in. And I started these requests 2+ years ago and asked for them again within that period. It won't just save me a lot of time, it will save all the team match administrators time when their opponent drags their feet to lock and the 'hunt' begins. Also it will save the World League and Asian League tournament directors and all tournament directors massive headaches as they are continuously chasing up teams/admins to lock. These added features seem so small in effort in comparison to how much time and headaches they will save. So here I am, once again, putting in the plea for both of these features to be added. Also there needs to be the option remaining of not setting a locking date/time for friendly games where it's not imperative that they lock by a certain time, but at least if the admin's name that is managing the team match, they can be contacted. As no way anyone wants to rummage through hundreds of chess.com messages to see which admin sent the challenge, as that is the only place the info is provided and retained, in the actual message sent.

netzach
kco wrote:
netzach wrote:
kco wrote:

yep they don't matter it because they don't want to embrace the changed.

I do embrace change kco but will not kow-tow or brown-nose. Why should I have to do 4 or 5 mouse-clicks to browse my chess-games when that was not the case before ?

Why embrace that ??

seriously, where did you have to go to do the 4-5 clicking to find something ? 

• login/home
  • onlinechess
  • disable pictorial-chessboards
  • show all current games
  • view one game
  • back/show all current games
  • view next game want to look at.

Is working slightly better today so perhaps some changes have been implemented.

kco
netzach wrote:
kco wrote:
netzach wrote:
kco wrote:

yep they don't matter it because they don't want to embrace the changed.

I do embrace change kco but will not kow-tow or brown-nose. Why should I have to do 4 or 5 mouse-clicks to browse my chess-games when that was not the case before ?

Why embrace that ??

seriously, where did you have to go to do the 4-5 clicking to find something ? 

login/home onlinechess disable pictorial-chessboards show all current games view one game back/show all current games

Is working slightly better today so perhaps some changes have been implemented.

and what was the purpose of doing that, what was you actually looking for ? 

netzach

To play chess ? Look at & consider game-position then move to another game to do the same ??

Also used to always get sound & notification-alert when my opponent had moved ?

Now sometimes do not ! Dunno if this because they are playing i-phone or app ??

Understand what I mean if am involved in a game, waiting on opponent-move leave tab open for that game & go & do something else. On the site recently that tab doesn't always refresh to indicate opponent has moved ? I only discover they have moved after I go back home/online-chess etc !

19.0.1084.46 m (Google-Chrome)

kco

well you can get that from your homepage, I know you have more games than me. 

1. it tell me is "my move"  2. it thiers move and it tell me how much time they have left.  3. He is on a vacation.

kco

about the sound, I don't know if is it working or not, don't take much notice of it. Got it on ?

chess_kebabs

When you click on SHOW ALL to look in the current games list, the titles of the matches are gone. It then shows what colour the member is playing instead. I saw this was complained about before and I am sure I saw it was fixed, but only temporarily. If we're looking to see if a group member is playing any team matches for  our group, or any particular group, we can't tell once click SHOW ALL. Can tell for all the showed games before clicking 'Show all' though.. just a little inconsistency that I hope will be corrected soon, again. 

netzach

Well don't always get the notification every time. Do you ?

I am '' staying '' on a game. Have tab-open pernamently:

http://www.chess.com/echess/game.html?id=50006806&stay=1

Normally when opponent moves that tab refreshes & flashes '' your-move ! '' + audible-alert.

Recently this has not happened in some games...

kco

Yes, but I do see Netzach's games a little faulty too, when 'show more' the 2nd page is the same as the 1st page ! lol also the 'action' part is not showing right it only show 'view'.  

netzach

& @ BorgQueen 

Say the same to you as the others because you have only 16 games-in-progress so will not be using show all games frequently as I & many others do.

Am not here to moan about nothing. The problems I indicate are real & cause me trouble. Glad kco & yourself not experiencing any at all.

DrPhil

And a new bug found.

(admins, see http://www.chess.com/votechess/game.html?id=24957 )

It's a votechess game, and we started discussing a move before the opponent actually made the move. Now the movelist isn't updated.

A small one among many, but it is beyond me how chess.com can continue with the it's-all-good-attitude if after 2 months they even don't get the basic chess engine coded right!

Also, even more disturbing, in my archive (http://www.chess.com/echess/stats/DrPhil )I have 639 games played. 319 as black, 317 as white. And those last three games? (319+317=636)

If I were a sarcastical man, I'd say I played blue in those games. But frankly, I'm simply getting blue from all the stuff that still isn't working as it should.

Note to Erik: know when to hold them, know when to fold them. Even if switching back to the old code isn't possible, you might by now apologize to the members, and start thinking about your position relative to those who pay for this site to work.

chess_kebabs
DrPhil wrote:

And a new bug found.

(admins, see http://www.chess.com/votechess/game.html?id=24957 )

It's a votechess game, and we started discussing a move before the opponent actually made the move. Now the movelist isn't updated.

A small one among many, but it is beyond me how chess.com can continue with the it's-all-good-attitude if after 2 months they even don't get the basic chess engine coded right!

Also, even more disturbing, in my archive (http://www.chess.com/echess/stats/DrPhil )I have 639 games played. 319 as black, 317 as white. And those last three games? (319+317=636)

If I were a sarcastical man, I'd say I played blue in those games. But frankly, I'm simply getting blue from all the stuff that still isn't working as it should.

Note to Erik: know when to hold them, know when to fold them. Even if switching back to the old code isn't possible, you might by now apologize to the members, and start thinking about your position relative to those who pay for this site to work.

DrPhil, I see in the moveslist Nh5 being the last move made, by black.

You're not seeing this?

DrPhil

@chess-kebabs: nope. No move for black (I'm on the white team) is showing.

In fact, one of my teammates spotted it, so it's not just me.

DrPhil
BorgQueen wrote:

Have they been reported in the group they made for feedback?  Not sure staff are watching this topic too closely.

Sigh. So instead of just reading the forum, I'm expected to join a new group (which one? more needless effort... could anyone be so kind to post a link here?) to copy-paste the lot...

Now I am going to be sour: I think the admins should join the 'bring back the old format' group instead. Plenty of bug-reports there.

netzach

Presumably BQ means this group :

http://www.chess.com/groups/view/chesscom-redesign-feedback

Thought that was just for feedback/testing before this beta-version was launched though ?

BQ's a member so can advise !

chess_kebabs
netzach wrote:

Presumably BQ means this group :

http://www.chess.com/groups/view/chesscom-redesign-feedback

Thought that was just for feedback/testing before this beta-version was launched though ?

BQ's a member so can advise !

I sometimes post here and there, just to cover all bases. Laughing

chess_kebabs
DrPhil wrote:

@chess-kebabs: nope. No move for black (I'm on the white team) is showing.

In fact, one of my teammates spotted it, so it's not just me.

Very odd, but am I surprised? Not really, new bugs keep popping up. I'll keep a watchout for that in my group's vote chess matches. 

netzach

Since you have no problems why are you here reading it then ?

Don't mean to be rude but re-reading previous few pages specific problems are being announced & identified. You are not here with any problems so are just creating additional-stuff for staff to read with irrelevant posts made by yourself are you not ?

chess_kebabs

Spamming / abuse still occurs in the feedback group and irrelevant chit chat... one member got booted from being abusive by Erik only yesterday.. then he came back and said "was I just booted?". :)

DrPhil

@BQ:

I'd like to think the staff works for me, rather than I for the staff :p If it is the latter, I landed myself a job that pays a negative salary. 

But I'll repost it there. And frankly, 56 pages of topic, do you have them memorized? Tongue out