Forums

Essential pawn endgame knowledge

Sort:
Chess_Lover11

Difficulty : Easy

fujia

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssssssssyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

pattrik

true it's easy, but essential for a king and pawn endgame.

Chess_Lover11

Here's another technique one must know.

TomBarrister
TheMouse wrote:
Prakash_M wrote:

Here's another technique one must know.

Nice! It's been about two weeks since this was last posted.

Hey!  That's MY line!  Or maybe it's yours, and I copied it.

Also, it's only been 5 days. 

gorgeous_vulture

Nice, Fezzik.

rooperi

Can somebody give some insight in this position?

I'm black, (playing up the board) against a 1830.

I played f6, and offered a draw. He declined, and I ended up winning.

Why would he decline, does white have any chances? Was I wrong to offer, is there a forced win for BlacK?

DonkeyShark

wow, apparently I should study endgame strategy.  I may as well be playing pin the tail on the donkey on pretty much every single one of these puzzles (even the easy ones)

Skand
DonkeyShark wrote:

wow, apparently I should study endgame strategy.  I may as well be playing pin the tail on the donkey on pretty much every single one of these puzzles (even the easy ones)

Why would you like to hurt yourself? 

TheOldReb

Even "simple" endings that seem clear are not always what they seem. They require specific knowledge/understanding . When I reach an even ending against much lower rated players I never accept draws because they almost always misplay them and lose. On the other hand, when I get to even endings against IMs and GMs they dont give me draws either and I almost always manage to lose them...... 

Chess_Lover11

LOL yea NM Reb the more simple it seems, the more chances are there to make mistakes!Wink

Endgames require precise play even a single mistake will make you suffer!

Chess_Lover11

Some more essential pawn endings.

[ Edit : corrected 1st puzzle ]

wishiwonthatone

The only puzzle that makes any sense to me is Prakash_M 2nd puzzle immediately above. I absolutely see no sense in any of the others. What's with the king constantly moving away from its "charges"? Absolutely counter-intuitive. I understand the concept of opposition but I can't get how it's applied in some of the cases above. 

But thanks all, these are instructive. Not your fault, the pupil's make-up - be it wood or stone.

wishiwonthatone

Thanks Fezzik. Sounds awesome. In the meantime I'll look up "corresponding square". I certainly don't understand, as of this writing, how a4 and g7 are corresponding. They appear to have no geometric relationship, at least not in the way "opposition" refers to a geometric pattern.  This is interesting stuff.

wishiwonthatone

Ah, so I'm not as stupit as I am. Smile

Chess_Lover11

I didn't explained, as i might not be good at explaining them as i am myself a learner. I thought the puzzles are self-explainatory anyways i think you need to learn the "triangulation" technique which Fezzik will explain you soon. Smile

alek63

great ! thks

DonkeyShark
Fezzik wrote:

My favorite pawn ending position of all time:

Lev Alburt describes this as the most instructive position in all of chess!

Can you explain this top one?  I am clueless here