Forums

Bongcloud Octagons

Sort:
tazerdadog

I would Like to announce the creation of the a bongcloud octagon.

The winner of this octagon will be invited to the candidates match for the second official bongcloud world championship.  Second place will be invited to an invitational.

Before I continue with rules, and sign up list, I will say that the authority of this actually belongs to the Bongcloud Society which I am a member of.  In addition, the winner will also be invited to an invitational tournament for the bongcloud.

Rules

1. A standard Bongcloud Opening must be used, see Conquistador's Bongcloud Opening Book for a list, or one must have his/her King developed by move 8.  Not moving your king by move 8 is a LOSS.  Do not put yourself in a situation where you lose material because you can't recapture because you haven't developed your king.  

2. Please move your King often enough so that it is clear that your intention is to make it to the other side.

3. Post finished Games Here.

4. Be good sports, no cheating, don't use Pocketcloud 2.0bc, Kingspeak, or other Bongcloud engines.

5. The pairs will play a 2 game match

6. each person in a pair will play a game as white and black

7. Checkmate is a LOSS for the Checkmating player.

8. Most important Rule, The games will be unrated. And, The First player to get his/her King to the Other side first wins.

1. jetfighter13

2. tazerdadog

3.Kid_of_chess

4.browni3141

5.BrutusOptimus

6.ed_norton

7.bresando

8. jerry2468

I will be acting as TD unless someone not in the tournament wants the job.  In case of one of my games being in dispute, jetfighter13 will act as TD.

Mainline_Novelty
Kid_of_chess
Mainline_Novelty
Who won the first one?
browni3141

I'll play.

BrutusOptimus

I'm in. 

ed_norton

tazerdog, ed_norton will play.

tazerdadog

The first bongcloud championship is currently ongoing, You can watch it unfold here http://www.chess.com/forum/view/chess-openings/first-official-bongcloud-championship

Ben_Dubuque

I am in

Ben_Dubuque

wow this should be a tightly run ship

tazerdadog
Two spots left, post if you want one.
bresando

i'm in! or am i excluded since i'm still playing in the first tournament?

Ben_Dubuque

apparently not

bresando

If i understand correctly, the winner of the ongoing tounament will be the champion, and this is the first of a series of qualifying tournaments for the next candidates tournament? 

Ben_Dubuque

right you are bresando

bresando

And this octagon is an elimination tournament as the first one or a round robin?

(sorry did you mean "apparently not you can't join this" or "apparently not you're not excluded"?)

Ben_Dubuque

you aint excluded i don't think, sorry for my ambiguous slang

bresando

Maybe we can immediately decide how all the candidates spots will be assigned?

my proposal: Candidates tournament should be a 6 players round robin.

1-runner up of the first bongcloud tournament

2-Winner of the "octagon"

3-Winner of another bongcloud tournament to be started in a clouple of months (let's call it "sliced onion memorial" for now)

4-Winner of a small 4 players round robin "near misses tournament" played between the runner-ups of octagon and s.o.m plus the 3rd and 4th classifyed at the ongoing world championship. (tazerdadog said:"Second place[of the octagon] will be invited to an invitational". This might be the proposed invitational)

5-jetfighter13 (as a prize for starting the first tournament and so the whole thing, thus giving a valuable  contribution to the advancement of bongcloud chess.)

6-a player voted between the not otherwise qualifyed players as deserving this spot for his good tournament results.

What do you think? does it look reasonable?

jerry2468

I'll play. I use hypermodern things.

Ben_Dubuque
bresando wrote:

Maybe we can immediately decide how all the candidates spots will be assigned?

my proposal: Candidates tournament should be a 6 players round robin.

1-runner up of the first bongcloud tournament

2-Winner of the "octagon"

3-Winner of another bongcloud tournament to be started in a clouple of months (let's call it "sliced onion memorial" for now)

4-Winner of a small 4 players round robin "near misses tournament" played between the runner-ups of octagon and s.o.m plus the 3rd and 4th classifyed at the ongoing world championship. (tazerdadog said:"Second place[of the octagon] will be invited to an invitational". This might be the proposed invitational)

5-jetfighter13 (as a prize for starting the first tournament and so the whole thing, thus giving a valuable  contribution to the advancement of bongcloud chess.)

6-a player voted between the not otherwise qualifyed players as deserving this spot for his good tournament results.

What do you think? does it look reasonable?

Makes sence, that should happen, not due to the prize I get, but because every one plays every one.

tazerdadog

It is not an elimination tournament, Everyone will play three rounds.