Forums

How old was Fischer when he got to NM livel?

Sort:
PIRATCH

Capa_a, Fischer was right with his demands. Look at the first WCC in 1984/5 Karpov - Kasparov where draws were not counted. Karpov was tired at the end! Wink

Of course FIDE in those days could not accept a new dictation of a world champion as it was in those days before World War II! Cool

Capa_a

Piratch, Yeah.  Kasparov sure used the drawing strategy to his advantage in that one - as a tool to wear out Karpov!  I wonder how this strategy would have worked against Fischer.

APawnCanDream

Fischer's greatest friend and worst enemy was himself, from day one of playing chess.

fischeriii

I think if we are going to review Fischer's life, one should concentrate on his chess abilities, achievements and contribution to chess knowledge and theory.  I think the greatest player that ever lived!

Conflagration_Planet

I would like to see Magnus v Fischer at his peak.

RomyGer

In "The Even More Complete Chess Addict " by Mike Fox and Richard James I found this letter to Fischer's mother, dated January 13, 1951, and you now can calculate how old he was at that time !

Conflagration_Planet

I guess he would have been almost eight at that time.

fischeriii

That letter is absolutely amazing RomyGer!!!!  Wow!! How did you get your hands on it!!!

RomyGer

What I wrote : from that book "beyond praise" by Fox and James ( still available second hand ).   I have exchanged my opening books for reference books, history books  and encyclopedia's and like it very much.   Meanwhile I could react on more forums !

GenghisCant

It's worth noting that, when he did play Pavey in that simul, he lost in under 15 minutes.

He then played him again in the mid 50's and lost again.

Pavey was what, IM strength?

I can't see a NM losing to an IM inside 15 minutes in a simul.