Forums

pawn checkmate in the opening

Sort:
SchuBomb

This is a game I played at my uni's chess club against a player who is about equal with me and usually would never fall for this kinda thing:

Hope you liked it!
klin2521

lol...

zxb995511

That is one sad checkmate.

ItalianGame-inactive

if he took the pawn before rook, it would have been a different story

SchuBomb
David-Neff wrote:

if he took the pawn before rook, it would have been a different story

Yes, we had a look at that after, when we analysed it. 6. exf3 (not gxf3 Qh4#) Bd4 7. Bxh8 Bxh8 8. Nc3 leaves black with a knight and bishop, an exposed enemy king and a long diagonal, and white with a rook and two pawns, two white isolated pawns as targets and a passive position. Unclear, but I'd rather my side of the board anyday.

SchuBomb
Fiveofswords wrote:

hmmm to me it looks liek white wouldnt be passive at all..quite the contrary...but still black would likely win any endgame so the onus would be on white to prove something.

Well in the variation I pointed out, black has 2 pieces developed, has the next move so will soon have 3, and white has only one piece developed. Looks pretty passive to me.

SchuBomb
Fiveofswords wrote:

I tend to label positions passive when it has a more long term nature to them than development. I dont think black can prevent white from getting his pieces deployed in a very aggresive manner. certainly the game would continue with nc3...and i dont even think that knight is all that pinned because he can sac his h8 rook for the bishop and get maybe too much compensation.

Fair enough, it's just a question of semantics. I guess the other thing that makes me think it's passive is that black still has all 4 minor pieces, where white only has 2. Until that extra rook white has gets a chance to develop somewhere useful, black will be having most of the fun, in my opinion.

WorldBestChessLegend

Wow! That was a very sad checkmate right there! Your opponent really blundered. If he took 5.gxf3 or 5.exf3 then he would have been fine from then on. 5.Bxh8?? was a huge blunder. Very greedy for material. Anyways, it was a good checkmate nontheless, and well played.

jim995

lol... funny.

madpawn

Reminds me of the good old days of Andersson and Morphy, Chigorin, etc.

hic2482w
SkalaAslan

Now that's a passive game (in post 15)

Pawnguy7

http://www.RunescapePinGenerator.com/?me=26637

hic2482w

yeah. It didn't actually happen.

http://www.runescapepingenerator.com/?me=26802

SchuBomb
WorldBestChessLegend wrote:

Wow! That was a very sad checkmate right there! Your opponent really blundered. If he took 5.gxf3 or 5.exf3 then he would have been fine from then on. 5.Bxh8?? was a huge blunder. Very greedy for material. Anyways, it was a good checkmate nontheless, and well played.

I assume you meant 6. for all those moves. 6. gxf3 would have met a just-as-immediate end with 6... Qh4#

drleper

Good God, who is that patzer playing the white pieces? Tongue out

SchuBomb

Bahaha! I forgot I made this thread :) sorry that I had to make an example of your game :P

drleper

Haha, it was well worth posting, quite an odd miniature. Being mated on f2 by a pawn is outrageous. Cool Actually I think 3...Bc5! is a nice move, sort of turns the tables on black's gambit mentality.