Forums

Post your best miniatures here

Sort:
TestingOpenings

#14 Shirov played white in this at Tromsö recently.

aman_makhija

A cute miniature(18 moves)

http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=946217602

MonkeyH

Two 10 minute blitz games I played recently:

And two normal online chess games:

Lastly a quick knockout in the opening:

TheGoalkeeper

Wow, everybody's is cool!

Robert_New_Alekhine

Monkeyh, in your first blitz game, I would call fxe5 a losing mistake, not a small one.

Barefoot player, The Grob, Coghwheel, here is a forum about how long a miniature is. ( I just started it)http://www.chess.com/forum/view/general/how-long-is-a-miniature

Robert_New_Alekhine

White anemone, after e4 dxe4, this is actually a real line, and white plays d5 with some chances.

Poldi_der_Drache
TheGoalkeeper wrote:

Wow, everybody's is cool!

Cooler than poker players?

FireFromIce

Final one from me. This one was a blitz game, I had made several blunders and was running out of time. I decided to check the black king with my light-squared bishop, simply to prolong the game. What I didn't notice was that I had, in fact, played a Boden's mate (criss-crossing bishops) against my equally oblivious opponent.

mnhsr
I play this all the time and maybe 10% of the time, chumps refuse to answer it due to cowardice or a feeling of "I'm not going to justify such an unsound opening" or "I dinna wanna think" mentality.  So many (10%) of my games end at this point and you know what?  Black gets off the hook and is not penalized.  White does not get the win nor gain points, black loses nothing.  These games are not aborted, either.  Happens so much it infuriates me that I in a 45/45 I sometimes sit for 10 minutes waiting.  Then my whole wah is spent and my feeling for playing gone.  Ticks me off to now end, but the silver lining is I know 1. g4 works like gangbusters.  Didn't ever happen once when I played 1. d4 or 1. e4.
Robert_New_Alekhine

barefoot_player wrote: "SmartMocha,

Hopefully this is not too big of a spoiler, but 1...c6 2.Nd5!! is also good for White.

barefoot_player

Sorry to upset you, but 1..c6 2.Nd5?? wins for black: Qd8 and with two pieces under attack, white loses one.( If Ba4, then b5)

Thanks!

LoekBergman

@LongIslandMark: 16... Kh7 17.Nf5 and next move is mate on g7 or h6.

At first I would say 8... Bc5 is the first inaccuracy of the game, because black has to make several moves extra to overcome the effects of this move.The most natural move after 8... Bc5 is d6, but that gives white the possibility of the pin of Nf6. To prevent that is the move 9... h6 required. Two moves for one situation.

The best move after 10.Be3 appears to be to exchange the black DSB. The black DSB has moved three times versus the white DSB only once and the move 9... h6 was needed, implying that white has won effectively two tempi (one lost with the knight to d5).

If 8... Bc5 is compulsory, then must black have played not at his best before that move. The first candidate move for that is 6... Be7. Maybe should black have played 6... d6 instead. After for instance 7.O-O might black play 7... Be6.

The attack 7.Ng5 d5 8.Nxd5 Nd4 (threatens to capture the bishop.) looks premature, because white has not enough pieces developed.

The next candidate move is 7... O-O. I would again prefer d6 to develop the LSB to e6 as fast as possible.

Barefoot_Player

Robert,

In the SmartMocha game, 1.Bb5+ c6 2.Nd5 Qd8 3.Nxf6+ Nxf6 4.Bc4 and White, if not winning, has the advantage. Thanks for catching 2...Qd8 ;)

barefoot_player

Robert_New_Alekhine

sorry, I go the idea while not looking at the board and didn't double check

billwall

The wrath of Kann.  A fantasy mate.

Robert_New_Alekhine

wow

MonkeyH
Robert_New_Alekhine

the drawback of 3.e4 is NC6 and he can succesfully defend the pawn:

MonkeyH

A quick blitz game with a winning sacrifice: