Forums

Right place @ the right time reloaded (~1050)

Sort:
KeyserSzoze

This is another game when everything falls in the right place at the right time. I've enjoyed playing it and I'm looking forward to play more games like this in the future.

The opponent had the same rating as me so it was a confirmation of my current level. Enough said, let's go to the game and enjoy some nice forks

gpobernardo

Alright, here's what I've got.

KeyserSzoze

gpobernardo, thanks for posting this. I've calculated some time before sacrificing the bishop for the queen but I was not able to see the defending solution

blueemu

Is there some specific reason that 3. Nxe5 doesn't work?

MSC157
blueemu wrote:

No, white should try this although there is a defence with 2...Qe7

blueemu
MSC157 wrote:
blueemu wrote:

No, white should try this although there is a defence with 2...Qe7

I'm surprised that 4. Nc4 (after 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 f6 3. Nxe5 Qe7) isn't a book line. It looks OK to me.

MSC157

Whoops, I meant 3...Qe7 :)

gnuvince

I'm definitely not a great (or even decent) player, but I took a few minutes to write down my thougts on your game.  Nothing very deep though.

thenextprodigy

2...f6 is a blunder. 3. Nxe5 fxe5 4. Qh5+ g6 5.Qxe5+ Qe7 6. Qxh8 and white has a huge advantage. Not best play by black listed, but a common trap I use as a fellow 1000. Anyway, with perfect play after sacing the knight computer scores it +1.7.

MSC157
thenextprodigy wrote:

2...f6 is a blunder. 3. Nxe5 fxe5 4. Qh5+ g6 5.Qxe5+ Qe7 6. Qxh8 and white has a huge advantage. Not best play by black listed, but a common trap I use as a fellow 1000. Anyway, with perfect play after sacing the knight computer scores it +1.7.

2...f6 is not a blunder. In your line, blunder is 4...g6.

KeyserSzoze

Guys, thanks for your analysis and replyes.

I have some questions: 

What should play white after this move? How his queen can run away from there?

And the second one:

MSC, you say blunder is 4 ...g6. The only option left is the one above. What should play white next? Are there other best moves for black?

Gnuvince, I've enjoyed your comments a lot :)

VLaurenT

Hi Keyser,

In the first diagram, I like 7.d3, protecting e4 and preparing Bh6 which threatens a queen trade on f8, thus leaving white with a huge material advantage in the coming endgame.

In the 2nd diagram, 9.h4 looks like the most natural way to continue the attack, opening more lines on the black king and getting the rook in the fight.

KeyserSzoze

Hi hicetnunc and thanks for the answer.

After h4 white cannot capture with the g pawn cause it's pinned to the bishop. Is here any hope for black to save the game? I've looked over some variations and all of them lead to mate or huge material loss

MSC157
KeyserSzoze wrote:

I have some questions: 

And the second one:

MSC, you say blunder is 4 ...g6. The only option left is the one above. What should play white next? Are there other best moves for black?

Sorry, I forgot theory about Damiano a bit :) Both are terrible for black, blunder starts at fxN. Only Qe7 & Ne7 save black a bit.

AndyClifton

You could play 9 b4 right away, since 9... Qxa3 10 Rb3 wins the queen.

It's not considered a "sacrifice" if you will win your opponent's queen if he takes a piece.  Black had to play 14... Nc6.  And now you will have to defend your knight, which is why I don't think 14 Bb5 was your best move.  14 Bxf8 seems a good idea, since now your opponent will not be able to castle.

Also 13 Bxh6 gh 14 Nh4 seems likely to get Black into hot water early on.

Of course there's nothing wrong with picking off an extra rook like you did, but I would've been more likely to have played 19 d4+, trying to get at the exposed king as soon as possible.

And in gpobernardo's line, 25 Rb5+ Kd6 26 Nf5+ is even stronger.

MSC157
KeyserSzoze wrote:

I have some questions: 

And the second one:

In the 2nd line, blunder is Kg6 instead od d5. It leads to quick mate!