Forums

1900 USCF -> Looking to Break Expert

Sort:
redchessman
Musikamole wrote:
redchessman wrote:

I am a little over 1900 USCF and also FIDE and my short-term goal is to break expert (2000) by the end of the summer.  Recently I won a $50 gift certificate for Amazon.com at a chess tournament.  What should I buy with it to get to the next level?  Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

I see that your Live Chess Standard rating is 1854. There's another topic up and active titled The "Estimated FIDE" feature on other chess websites.

How would you compare chess.com's pool with that of your own chess club? It looks like both pools are quite similar in strength, looking at your chess.com standard rating.

In the past, some will say that their chess.com rating and USCF rating are about the same, while others will say that their USCF rating is 100-200 points higher.

Maybe it also depends on how serious one takes internet chess? Some guys might not care as much about their internet ratings, thus not placing as much effort in those games.

It's hard for me to compare the chess.com pool to my own chess clubs pool.  What I can say is that many of my 2100 uscf friends are also 2100+ blitz although i know a 2100 uscf who is 2000 blitz and a 1900 who is 1700 blitz.  So basically some people are better at blitz than their uscf and some people are worse at blitz than their uscf.  If you are talking about standard on chess.com I can't really say much since many of my real life friends don't play much standard chess online.  It seems higher rated players play more blitz than standard haha.  What I have noticed from my own play in standard on chess.com is that my standard rating is more than 100 points less than my uscf.  Also the players in the chess.com standard pool seem to play really strongly atleast against me.  Look at this example game...I am barely winning against a 1600( which I really shouldn't have won, but he messed up a draw) while a 1600 otb would not have played this well against me.  Here is the game I am referring to: http://www.chess.com/livechess/game?id=417718773

redchessman

Haha finally broke 2000 uscf and even got to play a GM in my last tournament :)

DrCheckevertim

nice!

and yes, I believe that live-standard players on this site are better than most equivalent OTB rated players, for various reasons...

redchessman

Finally made it to 2100...the next 100 will be the hard part.

SilentKnighte5
redchessman wrote:

Recently I won a $50 gift certificate for Amazon.com at a chess tournament.  

This really made me laugh for some reason.

redchessman
LucasNzBR wrote:
redchessman wrote:

Nice... I've read your topic, and you are improving very fast, any tips?(for example, how many time do you study/play per day, what do you read, things like that?

My chess education is very unstructured.  I only did things that seemed fun for me and that usually meant blitz games and opening studying (Looking at grandmaster games in the openings that I play + managing an opening repertoire in chessbase).  I also tried to play at least one tournament a month.  When I was 2100 I also started working with a couple GMs and that also probably helped me get to National Master.  Another thing I did was attend a local chess club once or twice a week.    

SilentKnighte5
redchessman wrote:
LucasNzBR wrote:
redchessman wrote:

Nice... I've read your topic, and you are improving very fast, any tips?(for example, how many time do you study/play per day, what do you read, things like that?

My chess education is very unstructured.  I only did things that seemed fun for me and that usually meant blitz games and opening studying (Looking at grandmaster games in the openings that I play + managing an opening repertoire in chessbase).  I also tried to play at least one tournament a month.  When I was 2100 I also started working with a couple GMs and that also probably helped me get to National Master.  Another thing I did was attend a local chess club once or twice a week.    

Let this be a lesson to that chess guy with a library full of 50 books who wonders why he doesn't get better.

Till_98

Puh, good that I only have 49 books...

SocialPanda

....and it´s even better if it´s a couple of GMs Tongue Out

Congratulations National Master redchessman.

SilentKnighte5
FirebrandX wrote:

So the lesson here is get lessons from a master. Something I mentioned before is a HUGE advantage in trying to improve, but it's just not something everyone has access to.

I'm not aware of any countries that ban access to chess masters.  So everyone has access to them.

DrCheckevertim

Except people who live in rural areas, and/or dont have enough money to pay for lessons (or time to take lessons).

DrCheckevertim
redchessman wrote:

My chess education is very unstructured.  I only did things that seemed fun for me

This is how I plan on breaking 2000 one day.

Honestly, it's not that rare. This is how a lot of people become good (at whatever).

Unless you plan on reaching the very top of the mountain, forcing yourself into a highly regimented practice structure seems counterproductive for most people.

Pardon_001

Pardon My Blunders

DrCheckevertim

Saw you got NM. Congrats!

Elubas

And I thought I was going to give advice to this person -- an expert telling a master what to do haha -- good to avoid that embarrasment! This guy has improved incredibly quickly and deserves a lot of praise.

As far as how "hard" one should practice, I think there's an in between area. I think a person will do better if they can keep seeing and reminding themselves of the beauty of chess, so that they will better appreciate the new ideas they encounter and learn them better. That can sometimes involve, indeed, looking at areas of your game that are a bit weaker even if it doesn't let you think as highly of yourself :)

But basically what I have done is take an area of my game in which I am weak, and become really passionate about it. Pretend I'm explaining it to someone as if I were an expert in that phase of the game. That helps to make me fascinated about the parts of the game I don't know well, rather than frustrated about it. And eventually I actually become decent at that part of the game.

Elubas
Mathemagics wrote:

Simple.

Practice calculation, get an engine, chessbase/arena... and start memorizing lines

1700-1900 is understanding theory

1900-2700 is rote memorization of lines and openings (and of course quicker calculation)

This is completely wrong and poorly explained.

Elubas

lol, and I guess you're talking about blitz chess. Ok maybe you can have your little minigame, but in any real form of chess I'd be happy to take the 10000 on offer.

YidingL1

8 years have pasted