Forums

2013 World Open

Sort:
avi97

I can't get over the fact that each game is $hours

avi97

gimmewuchagot
JBades6310 wrote:

tough first day in the U2000 section, went 2-2-1 for a 2.5/5 ... time to go streaking!

I was 1.5/3... and I've won 3 straight in the U2200 section!

avi97
[COMMENT DELETED]
avi97

*5,5/9

anpu3

But did you get a t-shirt?

Frankovich73

I got 7 in the U1800!

ponz111

A friend of mine may have won some $ but he is not sure. I have not found  a website posting the actual $ winners in the class tourneys?

JMB2010
JBades6310 wrote:

tough first day in the U2000 section, went 2-2-1 for a 2.5/5 ... time to go streaking!

That sounds wrong lol!

Frankovich73

I don't know how much yet that's the thing. They made the U1800 and lower sections write down their address and mail it later.

avi97

i came 25th place if i won 1 more game i could have gotten 2000 dollars and if i drew one game i could have won 800 dollars :(

ponz111

I have a friend who finished one point behind the winners in under 1800 but no prizes listed. He does not even know if he got a prize.  If prizes are listed for the classes please post here.

pt22064
avi97 wrote:

Actually, if you get past the time control (40 moves), the game can last up to 6 hours!  My longest game was about 4 hours; my opponent used up close to his full 3 hours, but I used up only about 1 hour.  Unfortunately, I lost despite (or maybe because of) my tremendous time advantage.  :-(

ponz111

I have always wondered about semi cheating in events like the World Open.

Example two grand masters playing each other in the last round, if they draw then a 10 way tie for first.  However before the game they could agree that one would win and then split the results with the other.  Then there would have been one GM winning the whole thing and the prize money would have been much more than what happened?  Apparently these players were very ethical.

TitanCG
taylorgang73 wrote:

I got 7 in the U1800!

pt22064
ponz111 wrote:

I have always wondered about semi cheating in events like the World Open.

Example two grand masters playing each other in the last round, if they draw then a 10 way tie for first.  However before the game they could agree that one would win and then split the results with the other.  Then there would have been one GM winning the whole thing and the prize money would have been much more than what happened?  Apparently these players were very ethical.

Normally, if there is a tie for first place, the players tied for first would split the prize money for 1st and 2nd place.  If one player wins and the other loses, one would get the first place prize and the second would get the second place prize.  So the total amount awarded does not change.

In the scenario you are describing, you are assuming that if the players tie, then there would be N players tied for first, in which case the N players would split equally the total prizes for 1st through Nth place.  So the total prize pool hasn't changed.  It is just the first 2 players get a smaller amount because of the N-way split.  While it is possible for 2 players to collude as you suggest, I think it is unlikely because the player who agreed to lose would have to completely trust the other player.  After the other player wins, there would be no way for the second place player to enforce the agreement.

JamieKowalski

I had two games in the World open that went over 5 hours, and another two that went over 4. 

But the weirdest game was against a guy that rarely ever took more than 10 seconds per move. I often didn't even have enough time to write down my move before he had played. I won the game after 75 moves, and he had used only 20 minutes total time. Five of those minutes were because he was five minutes late to start the game. Another 3 were spent on a single move when he suddenly realized he was about to lose.

I had used about 2.5 hours of my time. 

SocialPanda
JamieKowalski wrote:

I had two games in the World open that went over 5 hours, and another two that went over 4. 

But the weirdest game was against a guy that rarely ever took more than 10 seconds per move. I often didn't even have enough time to write down my move before he had played. I won the game after 75 moves, and he had used only 20 minutes total time. Five of those minutes were because he was five minutes late to start the game. Another 3 were spent on a single move when he suddenly realized he was about to lose.

I had used about 2.5 hours of my time. 

And he was always looking at the board?

ponz111

My friend, who scored 6 1/2 in the under 1800 section only received $65.15 for his prize.  One point more scores over $5,000  [I realize the difference]

Getting back to my question.  If two grandmasters both with a score of 6  agreed that one would lose.  Would not have this resulted in one player winning about $20,000?  [to be split between the 2 of them] So insteade of each getting $3300 the payoff for each would be $10,000.

They might not have to have an agreement--each could take out insurance that only pays for wins or losses. 

WilliamJohnB

I got 5/9 in the U2200 section (specifically, 4 wins, 1 draw, 1 half-point bye, and 3 losses which including a win against a FM) :).  This is after going 0-2 in the first 2 rounds where I was black for both rounds and got 4.5/6 in rounds 3-8 before taking a half-point bye in the last round.   Apparently, the guy that I lost to in the first round went on to finish in the money with 6.5/9.  

The crazy thing about that tourney is in 7 of those 8 games at the World Open, the opening was either Sicilian: Closed or Sicilian: Dragon.  I never played in a tourney where the Sicilian was played (by me or against me) so many times in my life.