Forums

An Open Question

Sort:
NimzoRoy

So, who is allowed to write articles? What is the criteria for being an "article writer" here? Apparently there is some or else why would member blogs be made available?

AlCzervik

I like bubble gum.

NimzoRoy

YES Batgirl should be "authorized" (or whatever) to write articles here, or at least be allowed to submit her blogs as articles, and chess.com can decide what category they belong in.

I routinely go thru the articles and blog listings and like Estragon choose ones based on the title and/or subject. I don't think blogs are "2nd-class" citizens although in effect they are if members aren't as interested in at least scanning the blog list occasionally and only scan the articles instead.

AND I have to admit some of the blogs here appear silly or worthless, (unlike mine of course :=) which may prejudice some members against checking out the blog list at least occasionally.

batgirl

Actually, I've posted a couple articles so I'm guessing I'm authorized.  I'd rather keep everything in a blog though.  What I find appealing about blogs over articles is that blogs can form a continuum while articles tend to be disjointed.  Also, in a blog one can create an index.
I wonder if, since the recent update, folks can even locate the blog section?

Bubatz

I like the continuity idea behind blogs - keeping everything together in a nice flow. One could have this with articles too, but only if they are or can be sorted by author and publishing date. Actually, I don't think blogs are inferior per se, it's just that everyone and his grandma is allowed to do this and thus 99% of blogs are crap (but then again 99% of everything is crap ...). Anyway, I guess the authors of the articles here cede the publishing and exploitation rights for those articles to chess.com? Is this the case with blog material, too? If not, then in my opinion this could be another reason to stay with the blog. 

batgirl

I think bloggers retain ownership.  When someone terminates his account, I think his blog postings disappear with them, but I don't think aticles do (though I'm not at all certain).

Articles should be grouped in categories, according to kind at least.  Simple tags should do that automatically.

NimzoRoy

batgirl said I think bloggers retain ownership.

Ownership of what? If the material isn't copyrighted, the concept of "ownership" is a moot point - IMHO that is

batgirl

All original writing is copyrighted.

batgirl

[edit] i.e. unless the author declares it public domain.

NimzoRoy
batgirl wrote:

[edit] i.e. unless the author declares it public domain. 

Well I'll be damned - and I probably will be, for reasons having nothing to do with copyright laws (in the US that is) BUT if you don't register copyrighted material you can't legally enforce the copyright, ie sue for copyright infringement

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html

batgirl

Well, copyright laws, laws concerning intellectual properties and the remedies from infringement are almost infinitely complex.   I doubt such a general statement is completely accurate, but rather a strong suggestion that copyright registration is the one sure way to protects one's property if it's really that important. But I'm not a lwyer.

NimzoRoy

Read the link  http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html

batgirl

I did, a few minutes ago... and a hundred others last year.

NimzoRoy

Well I'm coming to you batgirl if I have any copyright questions!

Just kidding :=)

batgirl

for example: "the holder of an unregistered copyright can recover damages for its lost profits, the infringer's profits (which may be very substantial if the infringer is a large or successful company) and an order from the court prohibiting future infringement." But an unregistered copyright holder can't sue for statutory damages (damages granted under a statute and not determined from actual damages).

batgirl

I don't know any answers. I just know it's all far more complex that a few lines to text can explain.  I've learned, however, between countries, it's very hard, maybe even impossible, for someone to sue for damages unless the copyright is registered.

MDOC777
[COMMENT DELETED]
NimzoRoy

From what I've read, basically if you're a member of the 99% big corporations can infringe on your copyright all they want to and if you can't afford the same high-priced attys they can, TS.

AND, even if you don't infringe on a copyright or trademark held by say, McDonalds or IBM (ie a mega corp), they can sue you for copyright or trademark infringment even when there clearly is none until you either agree to whatever BS demands they're making, or else go bankrupt paying atty fees and then agree to whatever BS demands they're making. At least that's how it works in the US.

batgirl

Isn't that the True American Way?? 

NimzoRoy

Well it looks like we both agree on how US copyright laws work after all!