Forums

Best endgame player ever - Andersson or Smyslov?

Sort:
WanderingPuppet

I was always amazed to see Andersson win so often from equal positions.  At one point he was 3rd in the world I think.

Aweceons

great

SmyslovFan

Thanks, Petrosianic, for sharing those games!

SmyslovFan
NimzoRoy wrote:

I dont buy SmyslovFan's argument Alekhine was any better at endgames than Capablanca, who did the best he (or anyone else) could do in lost endgames vs Alekhine in their 1927 WCH, which were by and large a result of being outplayed in the openings and/or middlegames. ...

I never said Alekhin was better than Capablanca in the endgame. I didn't say he was worse either. I used Alekhin's success in the World Championship match to illustrate a point made by Kasparov: Capablanca's mythical endgame dominance was just that, a myth.

In another thread, I quoted Kasparov at some length where Kasparov argues that Capablanca's endgame technique was shot in the match because Alekhin forced him to defend long hard endgames throughout the match. Kasparov, and many others (including Fischer), have argued that Capablanca's real strength was in simple middlegames rather than the endgame itself.

I did say that the best endgame player of their generation was Akiba Rubinstein.

chessBBQ

Carlsen is the king of endgames

SchackPetrus

The endgame player increases further north you go in europe.

Poland- Akiba Rubenstein

Germany- Emanuel Lasker

Sweden- Ulf Anderson 

Norway- Magnus Carlsen.

MarcoSalonna

what about Botvinnik? perhaps not the best endgame player, but surely the best in analyzing adjourned positions

Zeyrion
SmyslovFan wrote:

Here's just one example of Karpov's endgame play without an adjournment. The set focus button didn't work again. Start at move 29.

Isn't that just a draw? I don't understand how Karpov won that game after Nxe7, Kxe7, Kb4..?

Blekinge

Capablanca.

shumsta

Why doesn't anyone ever mention Salov when discussing the greatest endgame players of all time?

When it came to technical endgame accuracy compared to tablebases he was certainly the best in the world throughout most of the 1990s. And when it came to squeezing half a point more than he deserved out of endings against the best in the world,  he was basically Carlsen before Carlsen.