Forums

best traps to learn for 1300 / 1400 type players

Sort:
dogmatagram

I'm curious whether people have suggestions for useful traps for players at around a 1300 - 1400 level to know.  Meaning other than the most obvious (scholar's mate, fried liver, etc.), but (a) nevertheless "broad" enough to cover scenarios such players will see (i.e., not specific to particular openings -- more commonly employable), and (b) not terribly complex to pull off tactically.

In other words, good traps for someone at this level to try to spring on opponents of similar level.  Thanks....

Ziryab

I know a couple of 1300 players who spend a lot of time studying traps. One of them has scored several notable upsets with these traps. However, IMHO, he remains at 1300 while his peers are 1600 to high-1900s because he continues to study traps while others have strengthened their tactics and learned to pursue the truth of the position.

My advice: forget about traps. It's the wrong way to improve your game.

dogmatagram

I fully agree that learning "magic sequences" isn't going to improve my overall game -- but what I'm looking for (in addition to doing other stuff to improve my game) are traps that can help me WIN games.  It makes sense that everything other than the most obvious "traps" / similar tactics (scholar's mate / fried liver) would be limited to use against specific openings / defenses.  In which case, indeed, it probably isn't worth my time to memorize them.  But if there are "trap-like tactics" that can be learned and then applied in many game situations (e.g., where a common position is reached, or perhaps as an opening), then the time investment would certainly be worth it to me (since my goal isn't just to improve my game but to win).  Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Ziryab

Study tactics. Learn to punish positional errors. All traps grow from these.

Preparing traps against players who deviate from book on move three or four (most 1300 players) takes more time than it is worth. Traps are more likely to work against stronger players who are playing rote. At 1300, there is no rote. 

Shivsky

Ditto on whatever Ziryab said.  Though it does help to pay attention to how to punish people trying to play cheapos on you or atleast not fall for them! :)

This starts with simple Bc4+Qh5 mate-the-bastard attacks and can go up in complexity to dealing with the Lolli/Liver in a correct manner.  

In terms of practical chances with G/30 type of time controls on the clock in most weekend OTBs (which are infested with kids who do play these cheapos a LOT at the sub-1400 level), it doesn't hurt to know how to punish (or play accurately) these situations "beforehand" rather than work it out on the board while burning your clock.

EricFleet

+1 to Ziryab.

Ziryab

While walking my puppies, I thought about my remarks. It occurred to me that the first chess book that I read was chock full of traps. That's not how I usually remember it, but it is true. That book was Irving Chernev, The 1000 Best Short Games of Chess. I wrote a little essay about it last year: http://chessskill.blogspot.com/2012/03/my-first-chess-book.html

Seraphimity
[COMMENT DELETED]
mattyf9

Studying chess traps will not make you better. They're useful to know so you don't fall for them yourselves, but they will not help you improve. I wouldn't waste my time studying traps extensively. I would study the opening you like to play and be aware of the traps that can arise in the opening you play. Learning traps in many different openings cannot be very beneficial.

learningthemoves

I agree with Ziryab and the other posters who have posted solid advice.

They have given you what you "need". 

But so you can get a little of what you "want" too, lol, check out 'the fishing pole trap'. 

That may be an example of a versatile little "cheapo" as they call it that is tactical and can be applied in positions arising from many different openings.

Not a "trap" per se, but also check out the classical "greek gift". 

In my opinion, someone at the 1300-1400 level can definitely benefit from at least being aware of these two.

I'm not sure if those are the kinds of tactical traps you were looking for or not, but hope it helps.

dogmatagram

Thanks very much for the helpful guidance.

learningthemoves
mjk71 wrote:

Sure thing. I just played a game and used both of the "traps"/"tactics" we were discussing in the same game for an easy 17 move miniature win so you can see 'em in action.

When it came down to mate in 1, my opponent resigned.

But I figured you may like to see an example of what I was talking about in action so here's the game for you to see how you can use these tactics as part of your plan and play them positionally for easy wins against the unprepared opponent at our levels.

Now, I make no claims to have played the best moves and I know there's plenty of room for improvement with my game, (that's what makes it fun!) but if it helps to spark some "ideas" for what's possible for someone at around our rating level, then I will consider it a good idea to share.

But by all means, take the advice of players rated higher than me over  any ideas I suggest if they advise anything to be unsound and keep us posted on your progress with your tactics training. :)

Enjoy!

EricFleet
learningthemoves wrote:
mjk71 wrote:

Sure thing. I just played a game and used both of the "traps"/"tactics" we were discussing in the same game for an easy 17 move miniature win so you can see 'em in action.

But I figured you may like to see an example of what I was talking about in action so here's the game for you to see how you can use these tactics as part of your plan and play them positionally for easy wins against the unprepared opponent at our levels.

Now, I make no claims to have played the best moves and I know there's plenty of room for improvement with my game, (that's what makes it fun!) but if it helps to spark some "ideas" for what's possible for someone at around our rating level, then I will consider it a good idea to share.

But by all means, take the advice of players rated higher than me over  any ideas I suggest if they advise anything to be unsound and keep us posted on your progress with your tactics training. :)

Enjoy!

This is a good example where one side is familiar with a common mating pattern and the other side doesn't understand the defense. So, I am not sure this is a "trap" by any stretch, but an example of understanding common motifs in chess.

As an aside, I slapped my head when Black did not play 15. ... Bf5. At that point, White is left without any type of an attack.

Good job with the attack, but next time I'd advise taking the free Knight and winning in the end game :)

mattyf9

This isn't a trap, your opponent simply blundered.

learningthemoves wrote:

mjk71 wrote:

Enjoy!

TetsuoShima

well just learn tactics then youll see it yourself and need no traps.

naturalproduct
Ziryab wrote:

Study tactics. Learn to punish positional errors. All traps grow from these.

Preparing traps against players who deviate from book on move three or four (most 1300 players) takes more time than it is worth. Traps are more likely to work against stronger players who are playing rote. At 1300, there is no rote. 

+1

I fell into traps a couple times, losing a game in 10 moves or less. It was because I didn't know how to punish my opponent. When I think back, the it was dangerous for him because he sacrificed position or left pieces hanging in the p[rocess. I just didn't know how to respond...shock and awe effect I guess.

naturalproduct

learningthemoves:

Excellent example! This is almost exactly like what happened to me as I described above....lol...ironic. And yes, it was a blunder, but aren't most responses to successful traps blunders??

EldenMoon

my honest opinion, and I'm not a high rating by any means, but learning traps is a good thing. Not only does it teach you how to counter and not fall for them, but it also gives you interesting options when your opponent blunders a position. Traps are always nice to pull off and it does take some level of skill to know when a trap will work.. But like I said, that's my opinion. I'm not a high level or anything like that and I haven't tried to learn traps until today. My whole reason for learning traps now, is simply so that I know them, know how to counter them, and know how to utilize my opponents' blunders. I mean, you could be playing a good game, then your opponent makes a blunder that allows you to set up a trap. In this case, traps are good to know.. but like others have stated already, I wouldn't count on traps every game because not everyone will fall for them and if they don't fall for them then you're at a significant disadvantage