Forums

bring your memberships down

Sort:
Roma60

savage there is no need to be rude. my point as been made.say no more thank you.

Schachkaempfer

Savage, I made a fair point.  That is:

Roma and the Site Owner made diametrically opposing statements about whether the fees have gone up or not.  Only one of these men can be correct.

Would you care to address the issue, or do you just want to froth vitriol and spout profanities?

Roma60

savage your a rude man there is no need for your poor words. we just want to keep prices down. its called freedom of speech. thank you rest my case.

Schachkaempfer

If Savage wanted to refute anything, he would be saying that Erik was indeed correct, and prices have not gone up at all.

Instead, all he can say is "shut up, how dare you question our great leader, piss off."

Which is a tacit admission that he knows that the site Owner was mistaken, or lying.

Schachkaempfer
Rsava wrote:
Roma60 wrote:

Rsava price as gone up every year since ive been a member.but want to keep it low. chess.com must not get greedy like i said chess is for the world not just for rice cats who can afford it.

So Erik is lying? Can you point to evidence of that?

And if you want a chess site like you are requesting, feel free to start one yourself. Nothing is stopping you.

Roma has supplied this information above, in post  number 122.

Roma60

rice cats is not rude savage my last words to you are the case is over we have made how points of view.now for more chess buy.

Schachkaempfer
Savage wrote:
Roma, does your ability to construct a coherent sentence suffer when your hypocrisy is pointed out to you?

I see, that you choose to make ad hominem attacks and curse, instead of addressing the point here, that Roma supplied concrete figures as to how his membership fees have gone up over recent years.  This directly contradicts what the Site Owner said earlier.

Rsava

I know I said I was done with this thread but ...

Roma, do you understand exchange rates?

The price is in US Dollars. I just did a comparison (based on $99US) -

5/30/10 the Diamond membership was 68 GBP

5/30/11 the DIamond membership was 60 GBP

5/30/12 the Diamond memebrship was 63 GBP

5/30/13 the Diamond membership was 66 GBP

So, while you may see an increase between May 30, 2011 and May 30, 2012 of 3 GBP, Chess.com did not raise it's rate at all. The GBP became weaker against the dollar. You needed to spend more of your beloved Pound to purchase the same amount of goods from America.

As nice as Erik might want to be, he cannot control the world currency markets.

(I am pretty sure that is weaker, if not please correct me.)

Schachkaempfer

That makes sense.  Thank you for explaining that. 

x-5058622868

Thanks Rsava. I was wondering the same thing, since i was fairly certain i had not seen a price change since i had been here.

DelCheMethod

I guess I missed it ... Did chess.com make some announcement that they were raising the membership dues? Otherwise, why start this thread? Are you just being proactive to tell them to keep the rates down "just in case" they were planning to raise them?

bean_Fischer

So, this is funny. The whole issue of this is "THE EXCHANGE RATE"! And it takes 156 posts to find it out.

Well, I think the price has indeed gone down a lot in another country such as Australia and Japan. But wait. The price stays the same, the Exchange rate fluctuates!

So, the case closes.

Irontiger
DelCheMethod wrote:

I guess I missed it ... Did chess.com make some announcement that they were raising the membership dues? Otherwise, why start this thread? Are you just being proactive to tell them to keep the rates down "just in case" they were planning to raise them?

That's not even that.

That's the feeling that somehow he is paying too much.

The exact price has absolutely no importance : it is just too much.

OP : can you provide one criterion for "fair prize" that does not include your feelings, calling other people rice cats or complaining about your life as a working class member ? If yes, I will withdraw what I just wrote.

KvothDuval
Schachkaempfer wrote:
Rsava wrote:
Roma60 wrote:

this as been  good to see what people think. chess.com is a very good site but all i want is the price to freeze and so the poor can keep on playing by pushing it up every year membership will go down. this should not become a site just for the rice cats.

I believe Erik pointed out this "we haven't updated our prices in YEARS " in post #21.

Can you point to something that contradicts the statement that the founder of the site makes?

What information do you have that says they HAVEN'T frozen prices in the past few years?

Other people have aready pointed out what the Site Owner said in post #21 also.

But now, Roma has pointed out that the membership costs indeed have incrementally risen over recent years, and has supplied the figures.

Who is wrong here?  What do other long time subscribers know about the fees from 2009 to 2013?

Is Erik lying?  Mistaken?  Perhaps he can clarify.

if prices have gone up, that does not necesarily mean that it is more expencive. this is because of inflation...

Glorfindel_1
Irontiger wrote:
DelCheMethod wrote:

That's not even that.

That's the feeling that somehow he is paying too much.

The exact price has absolutely no importance : it is just too much.

of course, you could always just be a free member...