Forums

Challenge 2000

Sort:
respirocytes

Hi chess world i have a dream of reaching 2000 elo playing strenght in just 1 year, i know that 99,9% of the people think its impossible for a semi-beginner to achieve this goal and i know most of you are sceptical but i would love to prove you wrong, and show that with hard work and the right training/self training this IS possible.I dont underestimate this task and know it takes hours everyday and the right mindset and trainingtecniques. What i hope is that there are chess guru's/experts out there that are up for the challenge and want to help me achieve this goal, to prove it IS possible :)

FancyKnight

Why would an expert waste their life helping some random beginner on the internet achieve a 2000 rating, just to "prove it is possible"?

If you are willing to spend money, there's numerous GM/IM coaches.

RomyGer

Hi, Mike in Alkmaar : what is your age, how long do you play chess, in what club, what results so far, a KNSB-rating ? Groeten, Ger, Badhoevedorp.

respirocytes

Fancyknight, i understand what you are saying :), and you are right. But 1 im not fortunate enough to hire a GM/IM, and 2nd i know that with the right training and help i have a big chance of achieving this goal. So thats why im a bit rude by asking, but even if there's no one out there willing to guide me i at least tried :)

waffllemaster

If you enjoy chess, you'll be playing.  If you have a burning desire to improve, you'll be studying.  If you like to dream about how hard you'll work one day in the future, you'll talk about it on the forum.

Crazychessplaya

Becoming active on chess.com forums is the first step towards mastery. Glad you made it.

respirocytes

Im 26, i have no club/rating have some experience but stopped for a while. When practising for 2 month's a 1450 elo kids trainer told me if i went on he would never be able to beat me again. And i saw my improvement compared to other's that played for years, and at that point i was playing better then they did. So for me that is a indication that i CAN pick the game up really fast with the right training. 

waffllemaster

By the way, I wish you the best.  It's just these type of topics are pretty common.  If you work your butt off and are still around in 3 months be sure to post and update us on your progress.

FancyKnight

A passion is a good thing, I just hope you don't get turned off when you find out just how difficult this goal is.

Every 100 point threshold is harder to overcome than the last.

respirocytes

fancyknight you are right, a high IQ is nice with chess even so its not a 1/2 hour a day thing. You need at least 5 hours of study and repetition, practise a day to have even the slightest chance to succeed. And beside's that, because its so hard and mentally tough it would be nice the have the right support and help.

respirocytes

Srry chess_gg, i readed your reaction to late, but there's my awnser in my previous reaction :)

Leevez

not such a hard request, ambition is a good step in progress eh?

Leevez

what's wrong with having ambitions? i'd rather daydream if it means i get to do something. :)

RomyGer

Oh, Mike, in post 7 you answer post 3 ; and like post 8 I wish you all the best, but I do have my objections : in my chess playing (over 60 years now) I have seen and contributed to the same enthousiasm. But why not just start in a club competition and play against other clubs and do some tournaments, to get experience here in Holland; talk with someone of the Dutch Chess Union in Haarlem, the KNSB, they have good training possibilities, but please, firstly, enjoy the game by playing a lot with different opponents, and secondly, don't stop playing chess, when results are disappointing in your eyes.  

Keep your ambition high, just play ; and, by the way, money or an IQ have nothing to do with improving your chess skills, even books can be cheap to get !     

CP6033

How much time are you willing to spend? I am almost 1500 on chess.com. I just play chess. In the next year I hope to go up two or three hundred points. What are you rated now?  consentrate on your games work hard at it. Play your best chess when you play. If you lose  a bunch of games don't worry, everyone losses. What rating do you want to 2000? Remeber just because you can crush most people you know doesn't mean your amazing compared to other chess players. Have goals and work towards them,

Good luck

ChessPlayer6033

respirocytes

RomyGer that's right, one Israelian grandmaster says ''You can learn more out of books and selfstudy then a expensive coach ever will learn you'', he is probably right but its still nice to get the mental support needed to keep your regimen up.

Leevez
ChessPlayer6033 wrote:

How much time are you willing to spend? I am almost 1500 on chess.com. I just play chess. In the next year I hope to go up two or three hundred points. What are you rated now?  consentrate on your games work hard at it. Play your best chess when you play. If you lose  a bunch of games don't worry, everyone losses. What rating do you want to 2000? Remeber just because you can crush most people you know doesn't mean your amazing compared to other chess players. Have goals and work towards them,

Good luck

ChessPlayer6033

1883? no, i'll just do i want to do i guess?

CP6033

@Leevez What do you mean?

mjmanning

While we are on this topic, I am also a pretty good chess player that would like to get to 2000.  I have only been playing for 25 years, and think that I have some real potential.

Leevez
ChessPlayer6033 wrote:

@Leevez What do you mean

a short message would have sufficed.