Forums

Chess documentary (1979) with Timman, Euwe and more

Sort:
Somebodysson
ElKitch wrote:

Perhaps as a blog, but even there its gone in a day.. 

It was one of the first documentaries on chess that I saw when I started playing ~2yrs ago. A couple things I like about it:
- its interesting both to beginners and stronger players
- since Im Dutch its nice to see and hear people talk in the days before I was born. They use old fashioned words and it was just another time with other habits.
- Hearing Max Euwe talk about the match is unique (and in the cafe I spend alot of time in makes it extra special!)
- The documentary has a nice build up. Different topics, but connected.
- I like the conversations. Its a loose interview where the interviewed people can steer the subject themselves too.
- Its amazing to hear stories about players that I only heard the name of: Petrosian, Nimzowitch (still have to read his book), Alehkine.. 

yes, all those reasons for me too! I loved hearing Euwe talk, so matter of fact, without any pretension. I loved seeing Timman's calm smile so much of the time. I loved their easy laugh, Andersson's giggles, the great long stretch where they're learning from ven Leens Dijkstra, and kn owing that Andersson goes on to become a great correspondence player later in his life. Fantastic. 

j-pax

i saw it many times .. and like dr.Max Euwe best ....he has subtle humor.

like when he talks about Aljechin's 2 siamese cats in the playing room during their WC-match ... : "lovely animals" LOLL

and Jan Timman (not in this docu.) said he became NM. with only "judgement and planning/ oordeel en plan" by dr. Euwe as his only education.

i have the book, but never read it, i should Embarassed

@ ElKitch ... thanks for making this available for non-Dutch

ElKitch
Somebodysson wrote:
Andersson's giggles,  

Allmost as if he had a smoke :)

dashkee94

Thanks for the effort and the post!

WGF79

Nice docu, it has an interesting energy.

kclemens

The best chess documentary I've ever seen, and probably one of the coolest documentaries in general that I've seen. Thanks for the translation- wish there were more like this one

Ernst_Fall
[COMMENT DELETED]
Mika_Rao

Thank you.

nobodyreally
[COMMENT DELETED]
ElKitch

For no good reason I give this thread a *bump* :)

j-pax

the DOCU. is highly recomended :)  !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=E48r-JTSAVM