Forums

Chess experiment: How much does three pints of beer impact your chess ability?

Sort:
DrCheckevertim

Excellent, DrJamesB! We eagerly await the lab report.

-DrCheckevertim, PhD (chess.com)

Doc_who_loves_chess

Alas, you are right, my opponent did indeed flee from battle. Most frustrating with all the time, effort and beer I had invested into establishing exact experimental parameters. I will take your advice and include an asterisk beside this result when performing the final analysis of our data set.

Doc_who_loves_chess

Dear colleagues, the fifth game has now been added to the start of the thread.  I have not proofed the annotations as of yet, as I have, once again, ran out of time... However, the raw data is now available, and I apologize for any typos that may have found their way into my experimental notes...

ChessKingBen

Shouldn't this be called and exBEERiment!?

*chuckles to self*

zBorris

For considerations of playing under the influence of substances, one should consult the chess games of IM Day.

Doc_who_loves_chess

Dear colleagues, unfortunately it looks like I am going to have to put this experiment temporarily on hold. Once conditions are favorable I will return and continue this important work. Wishing you all good games.

Best,

DrJamesB

winerkleiner

We will be waiting...play sober.

AlCzervik

I don't always drink and play chess, but when I do, Siduri serves me.

Stay thirsty.

MrDamonSmith

Drinking and playing chess? I think The Cramer can handle multi tasking.

zBorris

When chess was brand-new the masters used to drink and smoke while they played chess. Paul Morphy's boss even used to shoot pool and throw darts around the pubs while making wagers on his chess games as Morphy was assigned to annotate them.

Steinitz used to have a bottle of brandy with cigars while he played.

A lot of the masters died of alcoholism when chess just started out, even up to Alekhine and the late and great, Alexander Wojtkiewicz, RIP to all.

treatb1969

i love playing drunk, i BECOME ruthless, plan better, but when i smoke pot? i can't set up more that one move in advance, and i forget to protect EVERYTHING!  when i am twisted? well i just have no patience or intellectual prowess, nor desire to play chess.

zBorris
treatb1969 wrote:

i love playing drunk, i BECOME ruthless, plan better, but when i smoke pot? i can't set up more that one move in advance, and i forget to protect EVERYTHING!  when i am twisted? well i just have no patience or intellectual prowess, nor desire to play chess.

Read International Master Lawrence Day's first comment on Marijuana in this game:

( http:/www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1037441 )

Then play through the game.

winerkleiner

How about bowling and making every frame a beer frame, and have everyone bowl backwards?

MrDamonSmith

Not sure about the 3 pints of beer part but I can assure you that over a fifth of vodka will really change your style!!

TheGrobe

It would change my walking "style", nevermind my chess.

Doc_who_loves_chess

My estemed empirical colleagues.  I am beyond delighted to be able to inform you of the pending return of our important beer/chess experiments! I am truly embarrassed by the amount of time it has been since the last "ethanol enriched" chess experiment, and I promise to remedy this shameful neglect at the earliest possible opportunity.

Your humble chess experimentalist,
Doc

astronomer999

Good. Now, while you're at it, and given that you like to run up to your club, can you explore more variables.

Electrolytes! I play worse for a couple of hours after a bike ride. ie about 60km including long sections of steep climbing. I lose up to 5 litres of sweat on the ride on a mildly warm day, which screws up my electrolytic balance a bit, and I postulate that my neuronal function is affected. A couple of hours later and I'm back to my usual standard, which would make sense if electrolytes in my tissues gradually migrated back into the blood and brain.

So blood sampling is required to analyse electrolyte balance and maybe glucose as well

All in the interest of science

SillyLittleMe

Hooray!

zBorris

"I have to accept that I may actually be playing better after drinking three pints of beer."

Seriously? Haha!