Forums

chess pieces 'age'

Sort:
chasm1995

look at the bases of the pieces.  I do some woodworking with my father, and I know he would look at the bases of the pieces as well as any markings beneath the box (or board if there is one) and maybe beneath the pieces for a company mark.  Nice mahogany fingerjoint box, btw.

TetsuoShima

I like the newspaper articles.

Bronco

Do they have felt on the bottom? If so you may get a better eyeball on the wood underneath. I think I read that sometimes under the kings there may be a makers mark (i could very well be WRONG. Golden Dog may know for sure)

TLWH

it might be the case with guns etc....you definetly cannot ruin these pieces by putting clear laquer on them.

In the long run,it will stop moisture coming in ,so to speak

thanks for your input guys

TLWH

thanks for your help fellows

TLWH

there is 'FRANCE' stamped on the bottom

No felt under the pieces

they are not weighted

TLWH

the underparts of all the pieces are just circular ,as they look when turned on a lathe I guess. No markings ...

TLWH

I agree, the newspaper clippings do not mean that the pieces are from that time...but...they could be  :-)

and also to have newspaper clippings from chessgames played in 1929 , is also pretty awesome isnt it ?

Bronco

Nice looking set. I'm jealous

licxjo

I agree--it's a very nice looking set, in a well-made box, and the pieces are a little different from the standard mass-produced wood sets.  If it's from France, it could have been made by Lardy, possibly a more high-end set from that company.  The view looking at the "face" of the knight makes me think that's probably true--kind of a distinctive "goofy" facial expression. 

What is the size of the pieces? 

I also agree it's not likely to have a significant monetary value.  Varnishing or lacquering the pieces isn't a problem--if you like the shiny look and want to protect the wood, it's fine. 

Where did you find the set?  Did the previous owner have any information about it?

Unfortunately, chess sets were produced by so many companies for such a large market that it's really hard to track down a specific date or maker.  People who bought them bought them to play with, and didn't keep that kind of information. 

Lee

TLWH

The guy who sold them to me wasnt asking a lot of money

he merely said he has had it a long time & doesnt play anymore.

I liked the 'look' of the pieces ,thats why i bought them.

The King is about +- 9cm high (could be 10cm) id have to measure it.

Think i will find some ebony & make a nice board for them....

problem is I travel quite a bit...so i either have to sell them because if i make a 'travel' board it will still take up some space

chasm1995

Don't use ebony; you'll need to put on an expensive finish (can't remember what it's called right now) because of the oils in the wood.  I'd use Peruvian walnut (almost as dark as ebony) or mahogany (same wood as box) with maple (very similar grain pattern to walnut and looks nice with it) or cherry (this will obtain a faint reddish hue with the right color and looks nice paired with mahogany.)  But, that's just my input.  It's ultimately your choice in the end.

tmkroll

Judging from the knight heads they look French and I would say first half of the 20th century. I'm saying this because it's the same way we date Régence sets like this one http://www.tykroll.com/chess/boxwoodregence.html with heads that are made in the same way. I know they were making Stuanton and St George pieces with the same knight heads around that time. It's just a guess. Neither set is worth anything.

strngdrvnthng

My guess from the shape of the Bishops is that they are by Lardy of France. As a former master cabinetmaker and collector of chess pieces it would have been better to use paste wax than laquer. As to age, I think 1920's is reasonable.