Upgrade to Chess.com Premium!

Chess rating system

• 6 years ago · Quote · #241

percheron

well, I meant for just regular old games, not matches. like sometimes my friends play me and it's just for fun, but while were busy with our more important games, we run out of time and never get to finish it.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #242

luka5

hello everybody,

I'm new in chess.com. Isn't there a board where we can try some moves during the game without submitting them..... if i want to try 5 or 6 moves ahead what should i do?

• 6 years ago · Quote · #243

percheron

I think you click on the "moves" tab and at the bottom you click on the analysis board.Smile and welcome to chess.com!

• 6 years ago · Quote · #244

ILLYRIA

This question gets asked a lot on ratings topics, but I haven't seen it answered....if it's been asked and answered 14 times on earlier pages of this thread, sorry:

when your ratings change, is it by the amount shown when you accepted the challenge? or are ratings fluctuations DURING the game taken into account too?

• 6 years ago · Quote · #245

ILLYRIA

see? 

• 6 years ago · Quote · #246

Zredfire

ILLYRA:

There is a forum focused on the question.  I couldn't find it, but if someone else would kindly do so and post the link?

• 6 years ago · Quote · #247

percheron

I don't understand your question.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #248

Zredfire

Mine? 

There is a forum that answers Illyra's question and I couldn't find it, but I have read it.  I want someone else to find it for me so I don't have to search through 150 forums with the word "Rating" in them...

• 6 years ago · Quote · #249

rodney1

Chess is like a war.plan the battle and if your aponent is formideble,starve him out ,the time should not matter to you...

• 6 years ago · Quote · #250

Zredfire

But only if you can play faster then him.  If he plays faster, then he starves you out!

• 6 years ago · Quote · #251

artfizz

Zredfire wrote:

Mine? 

There is a forum that answers Illyra's question and I couldn't find it, but I have read it.  I want someone else to find it for me so I don't have to search through 150 forums with the word "Rating" in them...

baseballfan wrote:

The best place to send him is probably the FAQ section on how ratings work, that can be found here: http://support.chess.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=21

(in this topic http://www.chess.com/forum/view/help-support/ratings4)

• 6 years ago · Quote · #252

Hugh_T_Patterson

If you really want an interesting article on the rating system read the article about Mark Glickman in the 2006 October Issue of Chess Life. It does an excellent job in explaining the system (Glicko and Glicko 2). It gives you the essential formula used for calculating ratings. The equation looks very simple. However, when you start to get into refinements, etc, you see how difficult creating a rating system really is. The article has some good information on the development, from a not to difficult mathematical standpoint.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #253

gyrow32

It's not how well you play the game, it's if you win or lose! Cool

• 6 years ago · Quote · #254

GodKnight

someone can explain about blitz games? and long games?

• 6 years ago · Quote · #255

copernick123

Yeap, it's the case for me. I'm good at short games, but I always lose in long games.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #256

GodKnight

i mean the diference between them

• 6 years ago · Quote · #257

ELBEASTO

sorry viswanathan, but a queen is actually worth 9, (not ten) pawns.

• 6 years ago · Quote · #258

upyusha

viswanathan wrote:
    turtle wrote: i am starting to understand the rating system, but how do you determine points during a game? are certain peices worth different points? 

turtle, the general points system followed is as follows:

pawn - 1pt.

knight/bishop - 3pts.

rook - 5pts.

queen - 10pts.

of course points are not everything... the position of your piece also matters.. for example you might not mind losing a bishop or rook to save a pawn on the 7th row.. and points dont have any bearing on the game result.. it is just a basic framework to help beginners understand the value of different pieces

Also, the king is worth the whole game

• 6 years ago · Quote · #259

ILLYRIA

Answering my own question, it looks like ratings change based on where you stand at the moment the game ends.  That seems right from what I've observed on here.

So when you first sign on for a game, let's say the Vegas odds line reads "Win: +42  Lose: - 112."   Then, during the course of play, another game of yours ends and you win it.   So now your rating is higher.  So if you then win the game that promised you 42 points, you'll now only get like +15 because your rating improved during the game, altering the original contract.

( ? )

(Just a little confusion I had over how correspondance chess is rated.)

• 6 years ago · Quote · #260

spiderman_09

Total: 126381212151215121525152
    Won: 123949429246253262326263(12282930303030%)
    Lost: 0 (0%)
    Drawn: 0 (0%)
    Unrated: 0
    In Progress: 1234679

Post your reply: