Forums

Chess traps for beginners

Sort:
rs0

Hello everyone,

I want to start a topic which may help many among us.Let us give this thread some time and post some nice traps which are generally occuring ones.

The traps can be from your own games which you devised yourself or from other games which you learnt some how.

This one of the well known trap from french defense where white can grab a whole queen. I came to know about this trap on chess.com itself.

Thank you very much chess.com for its rich chess resource

The_Manticore

Why don't you take the bishop on move 10?

Awake77

You can also take first the Bishop on d7 with check and then take the queen.... it is a very bad and common tactic....

rs0

I know that its a very bad and common tactics.But the point here is not a about the sub variations.The point is people still fall for this trap. And this trap is one of the textbook traps.So obviously it is a well known one.I want you all to post the traps that you have fallen for or you have learnt somewhere.

rs0

@The_Manticore and @Awake77....Your ratings are pretty higher than mine. so it is clear that you know many more genuine traps,tactics and combinations.

So i would love if both of you can post some good tactis on this thread

Thank you for your comments and i hope you both will post some traps that you know very soon.

rs0

106 views and still no traps guys??

ArchdukeShrimp

I really doubt any player even remotely close to 1900 elo would fall for this...

rs0
ArchdukeShrimp wrote:

I really doubt any player even remotely close to 1900 elo would fall for this...

I completely agree with you.Can you give some examples where a player of rating around 1500-1900 falls for?

guys its just a trap i learnt a long ago.do not give this much any importance and post your traps.till now many views and many comments but no trap at all.

rs0

I think all the comments were right. And this problem arised due to a wrong thread name. That's why I have changed the thread name from "chess traps for players below 1900 elo" to "chess traps for beginners". Please do post some traps. Thank you.

mcostan

this thread is relevant to my interests

adumbrate
This player is around 2000 strength and got tricked by this trap (he only plays unrated)
ChessOfPlayer

@skotheim2

What time control?

adumbrate

3|0

NativeChessMinerals

There are many traps, and some are very complicated with many lines to remember. The ones I picked here are very common traps a beginner is likely to lose to during their first 100 games of chess (other than scholar's mate).

I'm sure there are more to add to a list like this, but these are the ones that came to mind. You can easily find more complicated traps by using google.

rs0

This trap occured in San Remo 1930 in the game between A Alekhine and A Rubinstein. Although black didn't fell for this trap, if anyone falls for it, white can get a queen for a knight. And even though black don't falls for it, white can take a pawn for free.

ArchdukeShrimp
Here's a sort of well-known trap in the Budapest.

It's not likely to trick anyone in a long game, but can be good for blitz.

Warbringer33

The thing is that "traps" are irrelevant. If you play tactically sound chess there aren't going to be any traps you can fall into. A "trap" is really just a blunder. So, you really don't need to prepare yourself for specific traps - you need to prepare yourself to be a sound tactical player.

rs0

well @Warbringer33 I feel trap is not blunder.. it allows you to gain material if your opponent is not alert..but traps should also be sound so that if the opponent do not fall for it, your position will be safe

rs0
[COMMENT DELETED]
rs0

@ArchdukeShrimp it was really nice mating pattern...I was not aware of this.