Forums

Chess960

Sort:
jojo

Has anyone heard of Chess960?  I have been doing some reading on the topic, it seems, in theory, a good idea. Can anyone give me some pros and/or cons on the subject?

travis1010
I think most people know it better as Fischer Random.  I can't give you pros or cons, other than to say I don't like it.  To me, its just not chess.
jojo
Is it not chess because you aren't use to it? I think it makes you have to think a little harder, be more creative.
nyarlathotep

Fischer created Chess960 as a means to break the mold of typical chess play.  He was tired of everyone memorizing every opening known to man, and then having each game rely more on your memorization skills and less on your tactical and strategical skills.  I've played 960 a few times, and it's quite fun.  It's definitly not your typical "I've memorized the opening books and will draw you into a trap" fight fest like many chess games can be.  From a beneficial stand point, I could see playing it more often actually helping your normal chess play as you'll be able to see pins, forks and the like a lot more easily than the regular book worm. 

SonofPearl
It is true that for GMs memorisation plays a part in chess, but for most of us memorisation is not so important.  I think chess openings are an important part of chess from a cultural and aesthetic standpoint, so chess 960 is not something that interests me.  Chess doesn't need to be changed.  It's great as it is!
Don1
is chess960 the random placing of pieces behind the pawns? seems to random(luck) to me. more logical is pre-chess where each opponent places a peice in turn behind the pawns, then the basic principles of chess would still apply without the luck factor.
chessiq

I have not tried it, but I would like to play it. Just thinking about it, I think the first move would take me the longest to play!

I have a feeling that it may take a long time to catch on because people prefer predictability in general. They would like to know how the pieces are set up at the beginning of the game. In addition, if you lose, you are not sure if you have lost because of your lack of creativity or because the pieces have an intrinsic advantage/disadvantage when placed on certain squares.

Chess is already complex enough for most people as it is. People would want less simplification, not more.

Lastly, you don't want to take out preparation out of the way completely - at least, for me, I need to use some preparation.

But, like I said, I will try it. If I see something beneficial, I will be back to comment on it! 

andy-inactive
I agree with SonofPearl on this one.
pawnstogo
jojo wrote:

Has anyone heard of Chess960?  I have been doing some reading on the topic, it seems, in theory, a good idea. Can anyone give me some pros and/or cons on the subject?

I think chess960 is great. It has been around for quit a while now.

GoodNupe

Does a Chess960 game influence one's rating, or does it have it's own rating structure?

manekapa
Ikhet wrote:

Does a Chess960 game influence one's rating, or does it have it's own rating structure?

Both live and daily chess960 have their own distinct rating, separate from standard chess.