Forums

Conditional moves

Sort:
ozzie_c_cobblepot

Why can I only enter conditional moves when it is my opponent's turn? What if (for example) I have a mate in 7, and I want to enter in the entire thing, before I make the first move?

hitmenow
Whats the problem? Just do it after you make the first move. Some people just love to complain huh?
Kingfisher
It's pretty pointless to enter conditional moves in your own turn. If there's a move you are 100% sure is the best possible one, why not just make it?
neospooky

Must... resist... new features...

The point of entering it on your turn is the same as entering it on your opponent's.  You enter the conditional line and walk away.  It potentially saves you time whether you make it on your opponent's turn or your own.

Valid request in my opinion.  Not sure why there's even resistance to it.  It takes nothing away and adds options to the user.

ozzie_c_cobblepot
The point is that if my opponent makes a move while I am entering in potentially complex conditional lines then I have to "start over". Not a huge feature request, perhaps consider it a P3?
jay
Yeah, makes sense. Noted as a P3 :)  We have some huge things we're working on right now, but after we're done with those I'll try and revisit conditional moves. There's a # of improvements I could make I think.
4arms

i get it

ozzie_c_cobblepot

When you start thinking about it, you realize that the opponent could have entered potentially the same conditional line as you are entering - this is not good. Right now, if you are entering in a long conditional line, and your opponent makes a move, it uses part of what you've already entered in your conditional line. (The moves you enter are committed.) So they'd have to possibly rethink the user experience of the person entering in the conditional moves.

Maybe it is a bit more complex than I was thinking initially.

Zhane

No disrespect to anyone who uses this conditional moves feature, but as a player of the game sometimes if you come off vaction... it's bound to be your move and I find it disturbing if someone has entered one of these conditional moves without the opponent being there.

If you agree with me please comment after me.

trysts
Zhane wrote:

No disrespect to anyone who uses this conditional moves feature, but as a player of the game sometimes if you come off vaction... it's bound to be your move and I find it disturbing if someone has entered one of these conditional moves without the opponent being there.

If you agree with me please comment after me.

What is "disturbing" about it?

Zhane

I find the whole concept disturbing towards me. In my honest opinion chess.com should've called them "what if" moves, because nobody can correctly predict an entire match.

For example if I was white my opponent has a 1/20 chance of guessing my correct opening line.

trysts
Zhane wrote:

I find the whole concept disturbing towards me. In my honest opinion chess.com should've called them "what if" moves, because nobody can correctly predict an entire match.

For example if I was white my opponent has a 1/20 chance of guessing my correct opening line.

Well, they are called "conditional moves". If they don't guess your moves, then you don't see them. Am I missing something?Laughing

MathBandit
Zhane wrote:

Incorrect. The number of possible moves an opponent could make is almost always much larger than the number of reasonable moves an opponent could make.

Zhane
trysts wrote:
Zhane wrote:

Well, they are called "conditional moves". If they don't guess your moves, then you don't see them. Am I missing something?

You are missing something because every time I ask why they always answer "I did it to speed up the game." This really bugs me as they do not have a valid reason if I walk into "conditional moves."

trysts
Zhane wrote:

You are missing something because every time I ask why they always answer "I did it to speed up the game." This really bugs me as they do not have a valid reason if I walk into "conditional moves."

I am totally missing something! So, you ask your opponent why they anticipated your moves?! And then you "walk into" your opponent's moves?! I don't get it?

MathBandit
Zhane wrote:
trysts wrote:
Zhane wrote:

Well, they are called "conditional moves". If they don't guess your moves, then you don't see them. Am I missing something?

Of course it speeds up the game!

Case 1: You move, we wait for me to get online, I move, we wait for you to get online, you move.
Case 2: You move, I trigger a conditional move, you move. 

Zhane

Right then I shall make this statement as clear as I can.

CONDITIONAL MOVES KILLED A THINKER

I am a chess thinker, and I have NEVER used one on this site.

oinquarki
Zhane wrote:

I shall make this statement as clear as I can.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzVmPsqHDDQ

trysts
Zhane wrote:

I'm sure your opponent is calculating as well, and it is not necessary to respond to a conditional move immediately.

dc1985
Zhane wrote:

That statement makes no sense. 

I find that those who use conditional moves have already thought out the position. If they haven't thought out the position, then they would be extremely foolish to creat a conditional move line. 

I guess I'm just saying that people who use conditional moves do think, they just happen to think faster than you, know more than you, or just find it convenient. In other words, relax.