Forums

Contrevsial chess issue

Sort:
champ_weller

Today in english class i was given an assignment on to write about a contrevsrial issue and to pick a side well i wanted to do something on chess so my first two thoughts were the texas team moving and when kasparov played deep blue and he thought there was human interaction with the machine. i need to have four sources for the paper does anyone know of any other issues or where i can find sources for these?

trysts

The three greatest, controversial chess moments that I have read about are:

Karpov-Korchnoi: Yogurt incident.

Karpov-Kasparov: FIDE stops the match.

Kramnik-Topalov: Toilet-gate.

Fun stuff!Wink

DrawMaster

... there's a few additional ones for you. Smile

philidorposition

Topalov's and his manager Danialov's unfounded cheating accusations against Kramnik was a huge controversy and a scandal. They actually illegally acquired private footage of him in his restroom, and the organization committee did nothing about it. Kramnik refused to come to the board in a game and was forfeited. He went on to beat Topalov in all that horrible psychological atmosphere anyway.It was a rock bottom of ethics in chess displayed by Topalov and Danialov.

Here's Kramnik talking about the horrible incident: http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3911

If your assignment is a big one, "From London to Elista" gives an excellent account of the whole thing. I would seriously recommend it anyway for every chess enthusiast.

Another incident would be Kasparov's slamming doors against Anand in their WC match, or Kasparov's taking a move back when playing against Polgar and lying about it later, even if there were witnesses.

There's also Fischer's unreasonable demands prior to and during his WC match with Spassky.

philidorposition

Oh wait, there's also Cheparinov refusing to shake hands with Short before the start of their game. His manager is, unsurprisingly, Danailov. Smile

philidorposition

Wow, another huge one would be the breach of copyright allegations against Rybka's developer Vasik Rajlich and the Ippolit chess engine family. Those ones really fired up some angry forum discussions. Smile

It seems chess is a pretty rich soil for controversies! Laughing

trysts
philidor_position wrote:

Oh wait, there's also Cheparinov refusing to shake hands with Short before the start of their game. His manager is, unsurprisingly, Danailov.

That's a good one, just because Short was such a jerk about itLaughing

philidorposition

I'm still not sure about that, dear Ms trysts Smile. It is rather rude to leave a hand hanging in the air and could be used as a tactic to taunt your opponent at the start of games. But enforcing it as a rule is problematic as well. I'm slightly inclined towards Short's side in that one. I do think he is a jerk in general, though. Smile

trysts
philidor_position wrote:

I'm still not sure about that, dear Ms trysts . It is rather rude to leave a hand hanging in the air and could be used as a tactic to taunt your opponent at the start of games. But enforcing it as a rule is problematic as well. I'm slightly inclined towards Short's side in that one. I do think he is a jerk in general, though.

If I recall, philidor, Short made some disparaging remarks about Cheparinov's nation's chess team before the game, and did not deserve respectWink 

philidorposition

Wow, I certainly didn't know about that! You might be right then. Unfortunately I don't get such fun assignments, so I'll look into it whenever I have some spare time. Smile

manavendra

[test mesg]

trysts
philidor_position wrote:

Wow, I certainly didn't know about that! You might be right then. Unfortunately I don't get such fun assignments, so I'll look into it whenever I have some spare time.

Short is a tiny little man. Kramnik didn't complain when Topalov didn't shake hands. Short is the same weasel(sorry weasels), who did the Miles obituary, and we know how respectful that was...

I've read some stuff about chessWink

manavendra

Contrevsial=controversial

[droid mesg]

{ignore safely}

(good luck)

WHY DOES THE ORANGE HAVE SEGMENTS?

trysts
manavendra wrote:
Contrevsial=controversial

[droid mesg]

{ignore safely}

(good luck)

WHY DOES THE ORANGE HAVE SEGMENTS?

You're sooooooooooooo artificially intelligent!Tongue out

trysts
trysts wrote:
philidor_position wrote:

Wow, I certainly didn't know about that! You might be right then. Unfortunately I don't get such fun assignments, so I'll look into it whenever I have some spare time.

Short is a tiny little man. Kramnik didn't complain when Topalov didn't shake hands. Short is the same weasel(sorry weasels), who did the Miles obituary, and we know how respectful that was...

I've read some stuff about chess

And did you see his idiotic handshake gesture to Yifan Hou, after winning Gilbralter? Short's a jerk.

manavendra

[com.droid.help.mesg]

http://blog.chess.com/Blunderprone/zurich-1953-possible-conspiracies-and-controversies

philidorposition
trysts wrote:
philidor_position wrote:

I've read some stuff about chess

I know you have, dear trysts.Smile I know about the Miles obituary, it's disgusting.

By the way, Topalov hadn't offered a handshake. Kramnik wouldn't have either.

Huskie99

What about Fischer playing that rematch against Spassky in 1992, in spite of the US travel restrictions to Yugoslavia at the time? - that would be an interesting story to research - very controversial.  You could probably find a lot of sources on that - newspaper articles, etc.   

trysts
Huskie99 wrote:

What about Fischer playing that rematch against Spassky in 1992, in spite of the US travel restrictions to Yugoslavia at the time? - that would be an interesting story to research - very controversial.  You could probably find a lot of sources on that - newspaper articles, etc.   

champ_weller
philidor_position wrote:

I'm still not sure about that, dear Ms trysts . It is rather rude to leave a hand hanging in the air and could be used as a tactic to taunt your opponent at the start of games. But enforcing it as a rule is problematic as well. I'm slightly inclined towards Short's side in that one. I do think he is a jerk in general, though.

well the way i see it you should be able to force someone to shake hands due to a rule i mean I am a wrestler and you have to shake your opponents hand with your right hand before and after every match and we go even further and shake the opposing coachs hand after but that is not mandatory thanks for the issues though keep them coming