Forums

Dear old, busted-up chess set...

Sort:
Crazychessplaya

Some chess sets have a soul. I'm not talking about the shiny new Staunton standard that you purchased recently... I'm talking about one of the first sets that you ever used, maybe the one you learned to play chess with. How many hours did you spend with it? Hundreds? Thousands?  It's probably tucked away somewhere, in the attic, in the basement... You never posted pictures of it, until now. It's broken, the magnet is missing from the rook... Here is mine:

waffllemaster

Not a bad idea for a thread.

Unfortunately the board I learned on went missing long ago.  The pieces I remember were demolished by my little brothers one evening when my parents were gone... the pieces were thrown into a fan and sent flying, the dogs would run after them and chew them up Tongue out

e4nf3

Well, this chess set is dear and old...but it isn't busted up.

It is not my very first chess set; I think it's my third.I bought it new in 1959.

It is a magnetic set and the pieces store underneath. Open, the board is 6.5 in x 6.5 in. It is hinged, and folds in half to 3.25 x 6.5 so that the board and all the pieces are about the size of a checkbook (except fatter) and it fits easily into a jacket pocket.

I still use this set as an analysis board because it is very user friendly and of a convenient size. Considering that I have had this set for 53 years...it still looks like it is in great shape.

kco

I use those and stuff it with putty/plaster. Laughing

Crazychessplaya

e4nf3's set must have been a popular release, I remember playing on a very similar set decades ago...

e4nf3

I just looked at it carefully to see who the manufacturer was and the country of manufacture. Nothing. No tag.

Perhaps there once was a tag and I removed it. I don't know. One thing I do know...it was not made in China. Nothing, back then was made in China...nothing...and nowadays...everything.

The quality is quite decent. This, and the fact that I never dropped it on concrete, is why it has held up so well.

The only thing askew is that one of the small nibs in the black Q's crown is snipped off. Hardly noticeable. I must have been hungry.

e4nf3

I just noticed...

All for rook have embedded in the mold, at the top: "Drueke"

After discovering that, I found this...at a chess piece retail site on the internet...for $19.95...looks like their modern day equivalent.

The wood (walnut, I think) has been replaced with plastic. That and it doesn't hing...so it won't fold to fit in a pocket. Also, it is an 8-inch set...mine is 6.5-inches when unfolded.

goldendog

Here's my 34 year-old Dreuke folder (with substituted pieces). Nice walnut frame.

and here are the pieces on another board (those pieces on the folding board were cramped for me).

e4nf3

That first one...the board looks very similar to mine.

And this one, still available, was what Bobby had:

B-Lamberth

Here is my trusty old set that I think my sister bought some 30 years ago:

cajuncharlie

here is my favorite skittles table and set. i won the set in a city employees tourny in 82, i secured the table while i was activated for desert storm. the scribling is from my buddies from 90 till now.

B-Lamberth

Great set cajuncharlie.
Full of soul.

strngdrvnthng

My first set, made in Poland, still in great condition. I followed the Fischer-Spassky match with my friends on this board. The pieces are functional yet delightfully ugly don't you think?:

strngdrvnthng

Second set, some Fischer-Spassky on this too:

strngdrvnthng

House Martin Travelling Chess, made in UK:

strngdrvnthng

How about this for old, beat up, and set up on the first chess table that I built myself? Solid black walnut, maple, white oak, and purple-heart:

strngdrvnthng

The pieces are by Jaques of London circa 1860-1870, ebony and boxwood with 3.5" King. Only the white King is stamped, after around 1885 both Kings were stamped.

strngdrvnthng

I'm playing White and it's Black to move:

strngdrvnthng

And how's this?

strngdrvnthng

For a travelling set: