Forums

Descriptive notation

Sort:
pelly13

Ron said,

So are you now denying that you mutiliated one of your fingers?

What are you talking about my hands for? My hands are perfect, like artist's hands. You're making no sense.

Which is it? Did you chop off a finger or not?

Not only that , I chopped off my head to make it easy to distinguish High (Head) from Low (Leg) . I decided on not chopping off my Leg because I already use the L for Left !

Ron , It must be horrible to live in a country without humor.

pelly13

@Ziryab

Forget my question , I just did it.

chessterd5

I learned descriptive first. I still mix them in tournament. My first move is usually in descriptive, then I switch to algebraic. Sometimes, in the middle game when the blood's pumping I record my takes descriptive like: RXR, or Qxp. I think it's alot like learning a foriegn language. No matter how fast or proficient you get in your second language, you still think in terms of what you first learned & your mind translates.

DiogenesDue

I grew up with descriptive, find algebraic easier, but can switch back and forth readily. I did an exercise last year in which I would read through the moves in a game in an old book that uses descriptive. Then, without looking at a chessboard or the book, I would write down the game score in algebraic. I was able to do this quickly with games up to a dozen moves. One game that I played in a tournament that lasted 36 moves, I've been able to write from memory without board in both descriptive and algebraic.

You need some new hobbies to fill your time :)...

MSteen

Grew up with descriptive, but now use AN exclusively. Unlike too many younger players, though, I can easily read the old books. Fischer, Chernev, Capablanca, and the classic "500 Master Games of Chess" would be unavailable w/o DN. It's nice to be "bilingual."