Forums

En Passant

Sort:
kgwkyle

How many players know about this chess rule called "en passant"? I have been playing since I was six and I just found out about this rule today. It is very interesting.

neeneeboo

I've know about since I was 12 years old.

Bodhiwan

I just discovered it a while ago when it was played by an opponent and I wrote to him in the chat "I just think we found a bug! Your pawn capped my pawn from the same row." Then I went to the forum to make a bug report, did a search and found the en passant. That was not embarrassing at all.

kgwkyle

Wow thats pretty good neeneeboo; I was just looking around in the support center questions, saw something about illegal moves, and it mentioned that there aren't any on chess.com, and it mentioned castleing and en passant. I know what you mean, Bodhiwan(:

Rubidium

Usually they have something to do with compositions.

kgwkyle

It can come in handy I see(:

TheGrobe

In compositions it's nice when, like in the one above, you have to do a little retrograde analysis to determine that en-passant must be legal.

kgwkyle

Yeah because there would be no other way to get in check mate so quickly (as shown above)

TheGrobe

Well, it's more a case of deducing what blacks last move was.

kgwkyle

Yes

TheGrobe

It can't have been on g6 since white would have still been in check at the end of it's last move, and it can't have captured onto that square, and there's no way the King or Pawn moved last....

The king could have marched in there from below followed by an advancing white pawn.

Ben_Dubuque

I have know since I started playing, its just I rarely use the move, yesterday I even had a guy accuse me of cheating, thank God he had an iPad, and looked up the move( I told him what it was ) and he then said, you're using moves I don't know, I quit. Roflmao

Chessking47

I have knew since I started playing. 

kgwkyle

I wish I knew since I started playing chessking47 lol(: jetfighter13 that must have been funny lol(:

Rodsterix

I was in a middle school chess tournament and some kid used the "en passant" on me and i was like what in the world are you doing, then i accused him of cheating, which of course was embarrassing! Embarassed

wbilfc
Only bit of French I know :-)
kgwkyle

:)

kgwkyle

:) I think its interesting because of the pawn-can-go-two-spaces-if-on-first-line rule

wbilfc
Funny old game, en passant has been around since 15th century and some haven't quite caught up yet. :-) Google is a wonderful thing.
wbilfc
i never agreed too much with that rule, it's like giving a pawn a knife in the back.. though i play pxp e.p often of course QUOTE It was brought in because it was felt the two step initial move gave an unfair advantage to the defending pawn.