Forums

fast way to learn chess

Sort:
bean_Fischer
Fictitiousphere wrote:

After seeing some of your games in this thread, you seem to lack the logical comprehension for this game / kind of games. My best suggestion is that you let a friend teach you the very basics of chess, so that you stop making obvious blunders. It's just too much to type it all down here.

Obviously, a mentor is the best way to start.

TheArtofWar82

wow...

arkansasgrl101
Fictitiousphere wrote:

After seeing some of your games in this thread, you seem to lack the logical comprehension for this game / kind of games. My best suggestion is that you let a friend teach you the very basics of chess, so that you stop making obvious blunders. It's just too much to type it all down here.

well then

Lou-for-you

The fastest way is to have somebody that plays well teach you. This can be a friend, family or a pro...

arkansasgrl101

okay grazie.

~jj con

DrFrank124c

The fastest way is to use the tactics trainer, chess mentor and analyze your game on the analysis engine on this site or with your own chess engine. Then go over master games in your favorite openings using "Guess The Move" or other chess solitaire program or play chess solitaire manually by getting a book of chess games, such as "500 Greatest Games Ever Played," and covering the moves with index cards and trying to guess each move. After u make your guess check the book move and read the explanation for each move.  

arkansasgrl101

well then.

~jj con

springerarchie

Really?

arkansasgrl101

yup

~jj con

Azalia01

Hey guys im new. dont know how to play yet but this girl is a personal friend. I thought some of your coments were really kind but some were plain rude. there is a difference between criticism and plain rudeness. This is to help the player not make them feel like they cant play. Thank you everyone who was nice.

Azalia01

Oh by the way you learn by mistakes. Let her make some and learn.

streetking1986

Well obviously you learn by mistakes but I have to be honest here. Those games (and annotations) were hi-la-rious! OH MY GOD I CAN'T BREATHE!! 

Now..phew..ok ok...you'll learn in due time of course and there is some great advice in all the posts so do follow it. Everyone starts somewhere.

Those games..Maah Gawwd! Priceless! Thank you for making me laugh out loud after such a long time and a chess game was probably the last place that would have made it happen (and I don't mean it as an offence but as a sincere thank you)

That game...bwahahhahaha

ArtNJ

Maybe the best advice you got was about doing problems on chesstempo.com is really good.  You might find those really fun, and if you do like it and stick with it, you'll see improvement in your "tactics".  Tactics is just, at a very basic level, seeing when to take stuff and how to protect your stuff.  Chesstempo can help with this. 

The second big area is "positional play" which is basically learning what kind of things to shoot for, what kinds of moves to play, even if nothing can really be taken at present.  This is a harder thing to learn without a human teacher.  So...how good are your friends and how annoying are they?  Failing that, are their chess clubs in your school or in your area?

The third area people talk about is "openings" which are basically standard sequences of moves to start a game that make sure you dont screw up to bad right away.  Memorizing openings is completely useless at your level.  If someone can teach you the principles that govern the opening phase -- like take out all/most of your pieces quickly and before you move a ton of pawns or move some pieces a ton of times -- (a/k/a "opening principles") then that *is* useful, but just memorizing moves is not.

Have fun. 

Pat_Zerr

I admit that some of the criticism was harsh but if you listen to the advice, you'll go from being a beginning patzer who loses every game to a regular player with at least a 50% win/loss ratio.  From what I've seen in her games, hanging pieces, uneven trades, failure to protect pieces, and not controlling the middle seem to be her biggest issues, but ones which will doom you to losing games if not understood and mastered.

arkansasgrl101

thanks azalia01 love you!!! but seriously its fine, i've learned alot from these people.

alec104
arkansasgrl101 wrote:

whats the fastest way to learn to play chess????

~jj con

Try this it's timeless if you work through the book and internalize the principles he teaches you'll play much better and win more games......

Chess the Easy Way by Reuben Fine:

http://www.amazon.com/Chess-Easy-Way-Sam-Sloan/dp/0923891501/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1389929787&sr=8-2&keywords=reuben+fine

Good luck!

arkansasgrl101

alright, thank you very much, that book is on order

learningthemoves

Arkansasgrl101,

I just want to say I applaud you for continuing to work on improving instead of just giving up if it doesn't come fast or easy like a lot of us can do when we're young.

This shows strength of character and one of the most important good qualities a person can have in life, tenacity.

Keep on keepin' on!

Pat_Zerr

Yes, I think that's why so many people don't like chess in this country.  Mainly that you have to think while you play, and that's too hard for a lot of people.  So they quickly give up and never play again.  Bravo to anyone who desires to get better at chess by improving their skill rather than just saying "the heck with it."

MorphyChess

For online chess coaching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7HDBXCGDhk&t=21s