Forums

How do I beat a 2000+?

Sort:
SmyslovFan
Optimissed wrote:

<<Exchange brains with Magnus Larsen. Brain transplants are going to become possible in a few years (that's a fact).>>

There are some jokers here ... 

Who is Magnus Larsen?

blueemu

He's the result of a genetic experiment by a Scandinavian mad scientist.

chessdude46

SmyslovFan, how'd you know that I'm going to the U of O? 

Or did you see that I'm from Eugene and take the leap that I would be going to the U of O?

chessdude46

Unfortunately, my best chess buddy was hit by a car a year ago, and there's nobody that I know of at the U of O that's at my level. (At least from my high school). I'll keep looking though. It'd be nice to have a player around my level to spar with. I haven't had someone like that since Scotty was hit by a car.

shepi13

You post your name on your profile, it's probably not that hard for him to look you up and see where you're going to college.

Back to the main question, I have a few points:

The person who said we all suck at chess is completely right. It's understandable to be inconsistent, but the sooner that you admit that your losses are because you need to improve and your wins have quite a few errors too, you will get better. Also, you will have more luck beating 2000+ players if you realize that they also aren't that good, and while they generally have some idea of what to do they certainly don't have the perfect plans memorized in every position and don't have perfect tactical abilities. Finally, most scholastic ratings are inflated, so use your USCF rating and play more games.

Now, 2000+ players certainly are fallible, and to prove this I will regretfully post one of my worst games.

WittyBlunder

Easy you've to calculate at leat 3 moves deep and be good at endgames. And choose the openings that suites your personality!

punkhint

kaynight wrote:

Luck does not come into chess...

kaynight wrote: Luck does not come into chess...

konhidras
chessdude46 wrote:

When I'm playing at my best, I've tended to play somewhere around a 1600-1800 level. I've beat several 1900's, including one that was such an upset it got published. However, whenever I play someone who's anywhere above 2000, I always seem to collapse. I've played really good games against them, and I've even been in situations where 30 or 40 moves in the game is even. I always seem to make one mistake or miscalculation that makes me collapse. Is there any sort of chess advice that would benefit me here, or is it entirely psychological?

Ive beaten players rated higher than me by simply doing these things (although i forget to heed them sometimes):

1. Play moves not for the sake of just playing them, meaning, always plan something at least 2 or three moves deep all the time. we are all humans an opponent will have a tendency to not see em and so do you if your opponent keeps doing so. Pins, forks traps, even threats of mate keep creating one all the time.

2. Never go for exchanges that would benefit your opponent. The things that might help him: time, space and good squares.

3.Never ever go and exchange pieces just for the sake of going into an endgame unless it wouyld benefit you by having an advantage or much more an innitiative.

4. Dont burn bridges: when you start to go for an all out war make sure you can have something to hold on to when its been refuted ( im always guilty of this lol)

5. Lastly..dont doubt your strength and play the game like its the best of you always,

Hope it helps.

frjel80

My friend and I started chess around the same age but I stopped playing when I was rated 1100+.  Now, after 13 years.. his rating is around 2000. It took me one and a half year to reach 1600. As a 1600 player, I only beat him once.I think he underestimated me and fallen for the trap that I learned from youtube. but since then, he played more carefully and I was not able to win a single game against him.

doctoralex1234

train for 4 ours per day

DrSpudnik

He's probably killing you positionally and then picking off the stray piece or two. Until you vastly improve, you don't stand a chance.

Andre_Harding
DrSpudnik wrote:

He's probably killing you positionally and then picking off the stray piece or two. Until you vastly improve, you don't stand a chance.

^Pretty much this.

The_Ghostess_Lola

Very carefully.

moosakhan2006

I know this is 9 years later but I too have a Chess Tournament coming up. Not trying to flex or anything but I also have consistently beaten players way above my rating bracket. 500-600 points. I am not kidding lol. I have defeated them in OTB Tournaments Online Tournaments and more. I think the reason I lose most of the time is that I lose my concentration for a split second and blunder a piece or some more. I have a classical tournament coming up and I am crazy enough to register for the over 1700 Bracket. Because Honestly I cant play with 1200s for 1 hours 5 games each.. Any idea of the gambits that I may need to defend against. What will be my strategy?

Thanks

MrCharlyy

Thanks for your help ✌️✌️🙏👌