Forums

How do you deal with nervousness before an OTB tournament or a big game?

Sort:
Ubik42

Certainly between games you need to chill...and eat something that will last long. Avoid candy bars.

texasyankee

Just as there are sadists, masochists, alcoholics and drug addicts, there are people who love the tension, nervousness and butterflys that come with competition at the highest level.  Each person has to discover how he reacts to the pressure.  The great golfer  Walter Hagen once had a playoff for the US Open the next day when a reporter found him partying with some beautiful women in the wee hours of the morning.  The reporter asked if Hagen was worried that his opponent was in bed alsleep.  Hagen replied "He may be in bed, but he's not asleep."  Hagen won easily.

b5squared

Meditation, a nap, and a vigorous walk always help me.

Larry_Fischer

I find laughter is a great relaxer. Watching a funny movie or reading jokes gets my mind off the worries. Also exercise is good, deep breathing is good.

Smile

Likhit1

What I do is,My rating is 1577.Suppose i get an opponent rated higher than me,say 1800.I think,1800?I really wanted to play a 2000.Let's beat this guy fast and get it over with so that i get a higher rated player soon.If i lose I just think,huh.He wasn't too bad.When I get lower rated players I just act all confident so that my opponents get intimidated by my rating.You lose all your nervousness by applyin this.

kikvors

You need to be focused, sharp. It's the state in between totally relaxed and too nervous. Neither bored nor overwhelmed.

Before the game, try to find out what your current state is, and beforehand make some plans for how you'll raise your alertness if you're not fired up, and how you'll calm yourself if you are too tense.

Meditation, breathing, soothing music, a quiet walk, that sort of thing is good to calm down before a game.

If you aren't excited enough, do something that pumps your adrenalin, whatever works for you. Troll a bit on chess.com, run a sprint, listen to Rage Against the Machine, hit a team member, kiss a team member, try to do both in various orders, steal an opening book at the book stand, what have you.

Doggy_Style
Estragon wrote:
waffllemaster wrote:
rmurray wrote:

Have sex, go to the beach, smoke a big spliff, and enjoy a real good meal (not to big).  Do all these in no particular order, but you must do all four, and you will be relaxed.  I guarantee it.

Hmm.  He's 13 though.

Good point - he'll need a ride to the beach.

Laughing

To answer the OP's question: I have a routine. Breakfast and coffee, shower, drive to the venue listening to old crooners and show tunes, point my Knights in the right direction, take score with my lucky pen.

megh05

Play tournaments and practice hard. Play against higher rated opponents. Never think u lost a game u always LEARN from game.

the best thing u can do is admit your loss and consider it as a LEARNING....draw.png 

jjupiter6

megh05 wrote:

Play tournaments and practice hard. Play against higher rated opponents. Never think u lost a game u always LEARN from game.

the best thing u can do is admit your loss and consider it as a LEARNING....draw.png 

How did you find a 5year old thread and why did you reply to it?

discoweasel
discoweasel wrote:

/thread

chasm1995 wrote:

I listen to Radiohead's OK Computer album.  I find it to be quite calming.

It's been a few years.   I'm up to 1/2 bottle of scotch to calm nerves before tourney. 

DavidilA

im a bit late but chewing gum works best imo