Forums

HOW OLD IS CHESS?

Sort:
vjscrew

HOW OLD IS THIS MIND BOGGLING GAME WE CALL CHESS?

WHY IS IT CALLED CHESS?

IS IT OLDER THAN CHRIST?.......

A.D?.................................

HISTORIC?...........................

PRE-HISTORIC?.....................

ANCIENT?..........................

Iv asked so many people this question and still not had any proper answers with facts to back-up theyre answers...

Some say PERSIANS created,SOVIETS created,INDIA created???....

What do u Chess addicts think????

Akuni

modern chess 500 years, chess ancestory atleast 1500

vjscrew

interesting,.iv read storys in old Indian (being indian myself) scripts dating 2000+ years that mention a game which include a king,queen guards etc...and explains how each piece can move..

Variable

I find a lot of history very interesting, especialy ancient history. One thing I have heard about chess a long time ago was about the queen. In previous rules, before the queen moved like it does today, the queen was only able to move diagonaly one space! So if it was in the middle of the board it would only be able to go to 4 places. Sounds like a very different game already!

ELBEASTO

It depends on your definition of chess.  For example, Chaturanga is over 2000 years old, but it has different pieces than chess, such as the advisor, the camel, etc.

murometzyx

Oww.. very old.. Smile more than 1500 yrs.  

Seriosity

about 12 years old. Next year will be crucial, it'll begin it's teenage years. Man, like it needs to get more complicated.

vjscrew

dude...

masteryoda

very old.........................................................................................................................

penpal

Smilechituranga 6th century india [army game]Smile

Smilexianqi 2nd century bc china [chinese chess]Smile

Smiledont ask me to prove it,i wasnt there Smile

vjscrew

o.k good research though

clbcrosby
paul211 wrote:

I think  chess dates back to the pre-cambrian age when the first cells fought for a place on this planet, it all started with a simple ameba and the outcome was a chess game as to the winner of the next protozoa form of life.

So your telling me the most basic life forms had to fight for the right to evolve? I would be interested in seeing some of those games. How bad would you have to be to get eliminated in the first round of that evolutionary tournament? I have seen some pretty sorry human players (myself not excluded) and I have to wonder how terrible something would have to be to get put out.

I wonder if the game evolved with them, perhaps to begin with they only had a few pawns on a much smaller board.

exigentsky
paul211 wrote:

I think  chess dates back to the pre-cambrian age when the first cells fought for a place on this planet, it all started with a simple ameba and the outcome was a chess game as to the winner of the next protozoa form of life.

Chess predates the universe, as I recall. It was the reason life arose. Smile

Variable
paul211 wrote:

Wow! I love it :-)

I would have really liked to see one of those games. Probably would have needed a microscope though, heh.

vjscrew

true,sounds like scientology to me..

penpal
exigentsky wrote:
paul211 wrote:

Chess predates the universe, as I recall. It was the reason life arose.

as i recall it was the reason life arose,lol thats a good one.ive heard some funny stuff in my days,it doesnt take the cake but man it comes closeLaughing

QinShiHuangdi

Chess was invented in the Mezozoic Era 250 Million Years Ago

vjscrew

AMAZING!!

caravela

..his mentor was a king in prison, to pass the time in prison he made what we call chess, " the game of the king" is older then persia but with the ending of babilon the game was going thru all world(that's geografical area is were chess was difunded, by the persians, the indians, the czars, the egipcians "the big nations" was the game of the powerfull lords of the time and only nobel people could play the game in that time, you could die because playing chess if you was not a king) the king of france LuisXV was a very chess lover and he give the chance to all the people play the game and he had free the chess to the pour people too thats how chess cames to our homes being transformed/changed with time and will continue this evolution some new rules are very recently.

...thats what I think to know about chess, hope it helps my friend!!

no one can say how long because is older then paper, no one can say how it was because is all relative. we can get there by the game him self,,, (sorry my english).        take care!

vjscrew

hey dude fuck the english ur explanation was very understandable,also not to diss any of the otheranswers iv been given (maybe 1,the teenager hehehe) but urs sounds the closest to what iv been tryna hear!!! thanx my friend caravela!!