Forums

Hypothetically: How would you improve your chess given the chance?

Sort:
basilicone
SmyslovFan wrote:

Yeah, there are always cool books and the like. But what I'd need more than anything else would be a human who was rated about two hundred points higher than me (USCF) who was willing to play and talk about chess as much as I do.

That´s it!

I had that once, for a whole year, in the early 80s. We were the only two Englishmen stuck in a minute village in southern Germany. No computers in those days, so we played each other, and he was amazingly patient. I was maybe average and he was definitely good (he´d once been the only player out of 30 to manage a draw against Korchnoi in a simultaneous match; he still plays at around 2200 I think). We must have played around 500 games, and I learnt a hell of a lot from him. I beat him once and once only, in a very cold train at 4 am, when he had a bad case of the flu. Tongue Out

trysts

I think if you beat someone who had a draw against Korchnoi, then you should be recognized as having had a draw against Korchnoi. If I beat someone who beat Carlsen, then it should be in the record books that I beat Carlsen. 

basilicone

If you say so trysts, I´m not going to argue ... maybe I´ll get a t-shirt printed ...

trysts

Cows don't play chess. But let's say they did. If Carlsen had a glass of milk from that cow, then it should be in the record books that you beat Carlsen.

trysts

If that is the same cow you beat, then it should be in the record books that there is film footage of you beating Korchnoi.

trysts

That looks like a picture of Carlsen finding out that his rating dropped because someone just beat an orange.

AdamRinkleff
chessteenager wrote:

How would you train yourself to become better at chess?

I'd work on my sex appeal to distract opponents.

AdamRinkleff
Let's just post this picture, over and over.
trysts

I hope none of this is considered off-topic? I always have problems with that concept.

naturalproduct
AdamRinkleff wrote:
chessteenager wrote:

How would you train yourself to become better at chess?

I'd work on my sex appeal to distract opponents.

lol....always with the best one liners.

Rasparovov

Endgames, all the way.

Scottrf

Playing and analysing games with Danny Rensch.