Forums

If Possible ;-), Would You Listen to Chess?

Sort:
learningthemoves

So many hats to wear. Sometimes the king and others the pawn.

Sometimes white or black, strong or weak

(It depends on what square you're on).

But if the winning lines of games could speak

Could they sing universally?

A tune that gets stuck in your head

like so many patterns, positions, games, memories, years.

So... took each move, each piece, each rank, each file and each square.

And assigned it a musical note.

Something interesting happened.

The winning games all shared a strikingly uncanny similarity in tune, melody, pitch and even rhythm!

Quiet moves like rests.

Pawn storms like eighth notes.

The bishop's long diagonal crosses the soundscape like the notes of a scale.

Each game an unique song!

We can now listen to our favorite chess games!

They said chess can be its own language.

And every language deserves one to speak it, and each song one to sing.

Oh! The moving heroism within the sounds of the sacrifice.

What's this? The unresolved tension in the notes of the stalemate.

The tight wall of sound in the closed position.

The lively melody of the open games.

The triumphant praise song of the checkmate.

Chess Music.

If this feature was available, would you enable it?

Tjornan

I would enjoy listening to a song such as that if I could see the board they were playing on :). Also, I think it would be better if each piece was designated a different note, that way it would be even more intricate. I am not a musician, but I would be interested to see what some of the immortal games sounded like. 

livluvrok

That would be cool

Elubas

The sounds would probably be too random. Just because a move is a good move doesn't mean the note corresponding to it would go well with that of the previous note and so forth.

learningthemoves
Elubas wrote:

The sounds would probably be too random. Just because a move is a good move doesn't mean the note corresponding to it would go well with that of the previous note and so forth.

Like 960 random?

DrSpudnik

Does a backwards pawn on a semi-open file just sit there making little farty noises? Undecided

Conflagration_Planet

My games would just produce a lot of shrieks, and screaming noises.

learningthemoves
DrSpudnik wrote:

Does a backwards pawn on a semi-open file just sit there making little farty noises?

Yes, it's a gas.

learningthemoves
Conflagration_Planet wrote:

That's the beauty of it. They will be the shrieks and screaming noises produced by your games. As long as it's music to your ears.

Conflagration_Planet
learningthemoves wrote:
Conflagration_Planet wrote:

That's the beauty of it. They will be the shrieks and screaming noises produced by your games. As long as it's music to your ears.

I wouldn't be.

Tjornan

I think for the sake of the argument we should assume the Queen doesn't take the pawn with a bloodcurdling cry but rather a sweet melodious tune. 

LeggomyEigo

something like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5JtKj3rUFE

Tjornan

I think that that is about the farthest thing from what the OP is talking about :P. 

Menzhinsky

Major and minor are the same in both music and chess. RNBQKBNR= I Maj, II min, III min, IV maj, V maj, VI min, VII dim, I Maj. The fifth degree is passive because it is in the overtone series. The king sits on the fifth and moves slowly. The fourth degree is active. The queen is the active piece. Rooks are tonic. Standard chess is Ionian. Chess 960 is modal chess.

There are seven notes in a scale. There are 64 combinations of seven notes. The king sits on the E file. We could call him the E-king (I ching) There are 64 hexagrams of the I Ching. 64x64= 4096. The total number of combinations in the twelve tone system is 4096. (7,64)(12,4096) Seven is the number of the Earth (seven days a week) Twelve is the number of Heaven (Zodiac, months). The music of the spheres is the eternal battle between light and dark, of form and shadow devouring each other.  

DrSpudnik

Some music is not all that scaly.

DrSpudnik

He may want to incorporate that into his grand E8 project.

learningthemoves

Great responses and discussion folks. You guys are smart. You play chess or something? :-p

Every now and then I'll innovate and create a "game changer" to make life easier, more enriching or just the world a better place. But in the process there are other ideas, like this one, which although may not be "viable" in terms of marketability, is still fun and can be rewarding in that way.

Most of the time I'll keep most of the ideas to myself but I get them so frequently it's no big loss if I share some sometimes.

Now I'll let you in on the creative part of the process which is how the idea came about in the first place. Sort of "teach a man to fish" approach.

Basically I read that one thread where the guy was talking about a certain "something" that he just couldn't shake the feeling he was forgetting something while playing and then someone posted a letter someone had written talking about a certain "poetry" of chess he could never quite grasp.

And of course, TataSteel 2013 was the other day and featuring "the Mozart of Chess".

So now we have Mozart (symphonies, music, etc.), Chess (of course),

poetry and a feeling something was missing.

So you know those training guitars where the frets light up the player should finger to play the note?

You also call certain ways you fret the guitar 1st "position", etc.

Chess players know positions if anyone does.

And of course we've got tactics training here which can develop

"tactical vision" something that can't be touched, although it can be measured and evidenced.

1. So the idea of connecting the dots to make each piece, each square, each tactic, etc. have its own dedicated "note" came about.
  2. The piece and the square light up when its played as well as the note.
  3. So you have visual and audible chess.
It's not such a leap. I mean, there's already blindfold chess.

The "lines" can be like "chords".

There's really no limit to what can be done with it.

The only thing is, you need to make sure there aren't sandbaggers who will play certain moves just for the music it makes like the players who make certain flashy sacs just to look good instead of focusing on more solid ways to win.

Mr_Spocky

well if there were saying 3.b3 then it would be hard to renember