Forums

Info on Soviet Championship URS-ch 36, 1968

Sort:
J_Lyons999

I'm studying the games of this (URS-ch 36 in Alme-Ata, 1968) tournament exhaustively, just as an exercise.  I have the DB. I thought maybe my annotations and analysis of these great games could be useful to other developing players as well, but first I thought maybe there is a book on this tournament or info on the internet that I could use.  But I found nothing.  Does anyone know of any information on this tournament of any kind, either analysis or anecdotal?  This is the one where Lev Polugaevsky won 1st.  Chessgames.com says: " The 36th USSR Championship was held in the city of Alma-Ata (located in present day Kazakhstan) from December 30th, 1968 to February 1st, 1969. Twenty of the Soviet Union's best grandmasters and masters were invited to, and qualified for, the event. The tournament was a second straight victory for Lev Polugaevsky, who had won the 126 player Swiss-style championship the year before alongside Mikhail Tal. Although Tal was present again, it was Alexander Zaitsev who tied with Polugaevsky after the initial event. A six game playoff to determine first place was held after the championship's completion, and Polugaevsky won clear first with 3½ points over Zaitsev's 2½ points. This win would be Polugaevsky's final Soviet championship title."

RomyGer

Have a look on www.schaakboek.nl for titles of tournament books and books on Polugaevsky !

J_Lyons999

Thanks, RomyGer.  Thats a very good source.