I was at home when my friend called me:

"chess is kil"

"no"

Casual40

Mur is the answer.

https://youtu.be/KK4hr4UEu8A

tygxc

Classical chess is more or less dead.
The classical chess world championship match Carlsen-Caruana ended in 12 draws in 12 games and then they went to rapid tiebreakers.
Carlsen has announced he may not defend his classical world championship title.
ICCF is 97% draws.
Rapid chess 15|10 and chess960 is probably the future.

monkey2088

chess should move to a 10x10board, and a 1pecies, out of 5 piecies... on one FILE/SLOT/ROW, they should also add a randomized piecies... and the same idea of fischer random....

I mean now days , everyone can open a website... why not move chess from over the board, to in real life ...

yeah chess is dead, in the high level... even in low level like 1500 elo its only a matter if your opponat blundered already lol

Uhohspaghettio1
monkey2088 wrote:

chess should move to a 10x10board, and a 1pecies, out of 5 piecies... on one FILE/SLOT/ROW, they should also add a randomized piecies... and the same idea of fischer random....

I mean now days , everyone can open a website... why not move chess from over the board, to in real life ...

yeah chess is dead, in the high level... even in low level like 1500 elo its only a matter if your opponat blundered already lol

nah, see the only thing chess has going for it is nostalgia and huge history and people having a passion for their openings despite it being a love/hate relationship. Removing those things might make it better objectively-speaking, but then chess goes up against every other game and gets slaughtered. Videogames are really a natural replacement of chess, something that isn't physical, that is actually fun. Good videogames played at a high level have a lot in common with sports played at high levels.

If chess was never invented before and someone came up with it now, it would be laughed off the face the planet. Also, people can stop pretending chess is some grand intellectual thing while sports and videogames are for mindless jocks. Nakamura even states that tennis is a far better game than chess. Of course the thing about sports is they're a lot less accessible and it gets worse as you get older, so chess has it there. I don't know whether a person will be happier and healthier playing videogames vs chess or the other way around, I don't rule out either. Playing too much of the same game is definitely not good.

therizzlychess

Erm... what the sigma??

V_Awful_Chess
Uhohspaghettio1 wrote:
monkey2088 wrote:

nah, see the only thing chess has going for it is nostalgia and huge history and people having a passion for their openings despite it being a love/hate relationship. Removing those things might make it better objectively-speaking, but then chess goes up against every other game and gets slaughtered. Videogames are really a natural replacement of chess, something that isn't physical, that is actually fun. Good videogames played at a high level have a lot in common with sports played at high levels.

If chess was never invented before and someone came up with it now, it would be laughed off the face the planet. Also, people can stop pretending chess is some grand intellectual thing while sports and videogames are for mindless jocks. Nakamura even states that tennis is a far better game than chess. Of course the thing about sports is they're a lot less accessible and it gets worse as you get older, so chess has it there. I don't know whether a person will be happier and healthier playing videogames vs chess or the other way around, I don't rule out either. Playing too much of the same game is definitely not good.

A lot of modern strategy video games are basically derivitate models of board and card games.

Look at Hearthstone, for example. It's basically a digital card game modelled off things like MTG.

Among us is a modified version of Mafia.

And Candy Crush is something you could easily play OTB if you wanted to, you'd just need a board and a bag with different-coloured jewels in.

tygxc

Carlsen no longer plays the classical world championship.
ICCF correspondence is now at 100% draws.
https://www.iccf.com/event?id=100104

R3Ked

why are you still replying to an over a decade old thread

fiddletim
DerekDHarvey wrote:

Chess is a pool where a gnat can drink or an elephant may bathe.

Love the Image, Chessmate...Thanks

BigChessplayer665

Love,death,ai,fun

yogirr

No chance chess always alive in some formats and its magic and beauty surprises all world ever

dokerbohm

its still alive when idiots like me who addicted to losing still continue to think they can beat this game not matter what format