Forums

Kids chess lessons

Sort:
Kevin_Wilson

Hi,

I run a kids chess club. Each week I teach the kids a basic chess lesson. The lessons are short and have covered basic tactics, but will include, opening hints and basic endgames. I have documented the lessons on a blog:-
http://darlingtonchessclub.blogspot.com/

Take a look and let me know what you think...

Hugh_T_Patterson

Nice Job. Teaching children is not as easy as many people think. You have to find a balance between simple concepts and interesting puzzles. I tend to teach children as if they're small versions of their adult counterparts. I found your lesson very informative. The position was a great example and I found a bunch of interesting possibilities within the potential move. Obviously, you have a talent for teaching. Thanks for posting the link!!

Netsuj

So many ?'s

How did you get involved/start a kids chess club?

Is there much interest in your community?

Do you have to have a certain Title or Rating to teach kids?

* My main question is *

-At what age do you think it's possible/proper to teach a kid chess?

My daughter is only 2 yrs old,I know that's tooooo young, but she loves to watch me play and always wants to get out the chess board and pieces. She can also pick out(and say) the King,Queen, Knight when you ask her. I don't want to start anything too early, but I don't want her to lose her excitement.

Thanks for your time

JC

PowerhousePenny

good job!

roughly how good are the juniors at your club, what would their rating be?

Conflagration_Planet
Netsuj wrote:

So many ?'s

* My main question is *

My daughter is only 2 yrs old,I know that's tooooo young, but she loves to watch me play and always wants to get out the chess board and pieces. She can also pick out(and say) the King,Queen, Knight when you ask her. I don't want to start anything too early, but I don't want her to lose her excitement.

Thanks for your time

JC

If the kid's interested, It's impossible to start too early. Why should any age be too early, if they want to learn?

Conflagration_Planet
Netsuj wrote:

So many ?'s

* My main question is *

Thanks for your time

JC

Conflagration_Planet

If the rook goes to e4 what keeps the queen from just taking the bishop?

Baldr
woodshover wrote:

He answers that on the blog, saying :

"Did you spot 1. Re4?  The rook moves and reveals an attack from the bishop and the black king Discovers he is in check.  As black has to respond to the check the attack on the queen by the moved rook proves decisive.  Black's best is 1...Qxc5, but after pawn takes queen black can resign."

Conflagration_Planet
Baldr wrote:
woodshover wrote:

He answers that on the blog, saying :

"Did you spot 1. Re4?  The rook moves and reveals an attack from the bishop and the black king Discovers he is in check.  As black has to respond to the check the attack on the queen by the moved rook proves decisive.  Black's best is 1...Qxc5, but after pawn takes queen black can resign."

Oh. Should have read all of it.

Kevin_Wilson
PowerhousePenny wrote:

good job!

roughly how good are the juniors at your club, what would their rating be?

From just starting to getting ready for competition.  

One of the boys plays very well, but is prone to the most obvious attacks.  I want them to play as much as they can to develop their board vision.

We do have a 12 year old who doesn't come to the junior club because he is too good about 1600 ELO.

So to answer your question properly in ELO points: 0 - 1600. 

Kevin_Wilson
woodshover wrote:
Netsuj wrote:

So many ?'s

* My main question is *

Thanks for your time

JC

If the kid's interested, It's impossible to start too early. Why should any age be too early, if they want to learn?

True.  But make sure you pitch ideas they can understand.  My rule of thumb is if their eyes glaze over stop the current subject and try something fun.  Then try and work out why the lesson failed usually because the material was too complex.

My kids love the PC games Fritz and Chesster.  Have you checked them out?

Netsuj

I have Fritz 9 and I've seen Chesster. What age group is that geared towards? Any good or bad feedback on Chesster?

Kevin_Wilson

Hi,

Last weeks lesson is now on the blog.  Enjoy....

Kevin

Hugh_T_Patterson

Hey Kevin, I'm actually developing a chess program for violent youth offenders who are incarcerated here in California. i think you have a great program model. Thanks again for sharing your site!!