Forums

Nakamura the biggest threat??

Sort:
isauro2013

I downloaded the app on android for reading New In Chess magazines, totally horrible, and unreadable.

But what I found funny was the title of this magazine:

I went on another site to look for statistics, and I found that in classic games Carlsen beats Nakamura 10 to 0 with 15 draws!

If the rapid and exhibition games are included Carlsen beats Nakamura 16 to 5, with 21 draws.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the results say that Nakamura is not a threat at all to Carlsen.

Paradoxically for results Volokitin, a GM who also wrote a book, beats Carlsen 4 to 0 with 2 draws.

bouncing_check

"I do feel that at the moment I am the biggest threat to Carlsen" - maybe he's talking about Carlsen's modelling career?

puncoder

I can say that caruana is the only player as biggest threat to carlsen ..period

puncoder

Radjbov won on carlsen after 6 years.. and I cant see this happening again.. if ivanchuk n kramnik can miss mate in 1 . carlsen can also make some mistake time to time..

BigLew

IMHO Levon Aronian  is!    I like Nakamura but he has a psycological hang up when he plays Carlsen, and always chokes like he did in Zurich and recently in Shamkir.  

Our opinions do not matter however,  b/c in reality Vishy Anand is the biggest threat to b/c he won the canidates tourney and the right to a rematch.  

That being said I do not believe Carlsen has an equall in today's chess or in history.  At the end of Carlsen's reign he will have proved himself better than Kasparov, Fischer, Capablanca, Lasker, Morphy  etc.  He is the GOAT!

TheRocketKing
isauro2013 wrote:

I downloaded the app on android for reading New In Chess magazines, totally horrible, and unreadable.

But what I found funny was the title of this magazine:

I went on another site to look for statistics, and I found that in classic games Carlsen beats Nakamura 10 to 0 with 15 draws!

If the rapid and exhibition games are included Carlsen beats Nakamura 16 to 5, with 21 draws.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the results say that Nakamura is not a threat at all to Carlsen.

Paradoxically for results Volokitin, a GM who also wrote a book, beats Carlsen 4 to 0 with 2 draws.

You should have seen carlsen's face when he read the magazine lmao!

Davenik

Any top 10 player is capable of beating Carlsen, but the evidence is showing Carlsen needs to have an off day. Nakamura is what number 13 in the world atm. nuff said?

AngeloPardi

The results of Volokitin against Carlsen show that the question of who can beat Carlsen is not just about head to head records.
Alekhine had never beaten Capablanca before their match.
Fischer had never beaten Spassky before their match.
Nakamura has a psychological problem playing against Carlsen, but he has good results against others. If he manage to beat Carlsen once, maybe he can really become the biggest threat.

Of course I agree that now it doesn't sound very likely in the near future. 

TMHgn

Nakamura did make an utter fool of himself by making this outrageous claim of being the biggest threat. He should just STFU and play and see what gives, like the really good chessplayers do (Caruana, Anand and many more).

Crazychessplaya

Come on, people. Give him a break. He did say "AT THE MOMENT." The interview was given several months ago, and lemme ask you, just how LONG does a moment last? Does a moment last a week? No. A day? No. Not even five hours, I'd say. So leave poor Naka alone.

SocialPanda

I´ll leave him alone for a moment.

isauro2013

Just an update: Nakamura, who believed to be the strongest player in the world for Rapid/Blitz games, is getting badly beaten in these days Blitz/World championship.

It seems that the biggest threat to Carlsen, could be Caruana, but Nakamura definitely is not a threat.

isauro2013

My impression, with all due respect to Nakamura, is that he is not a threat to Carlsen. The World rapid just ended, and Carlsen was 1st, while Nakamura 29th.

Maybe Nakamura is a threat to Judit Polgar, or the female world champion, if they make a match.