Forums

Practice Board

Sort:
jbright314

This may already be on the site, but I think there should be a Practice Board that players can utilize for training purposes. Something that would allow them the chance to see for themselves how an openiing situation would look and be able to dicipher where to go from there.

Any thoughts.....

Charlie91
That's a good idea, perhaps an on-line tool for chess study.  I think it's not available here, although an Analysis Board is available for the games.
kielejocain

I agree that this feature would be a boon to have on the site.  As it turns out, we do have it; it is quite hidden, though.  If you use the Game Explorer and get to any game, the "Analysis Board" link opens a blank board that can be manipulated at will.

A direct link to this under the "Learn" header would be quite useful, in my opinion.  It could be a board on which you could play through games when a physical one is not around.  It could be a place where you could play with alternate moves to previous moves in a current game (not currently an option with the Analysis Board attached to your games on this site).  There are many potential uses for a blank board, and I for one would greatly appreciate it.  In fact, my online search for a board to play with led me to this old thread.  The only one I could find that suited my needs was

http://www.apronus.com/chess/wbeditor.php

which I found fairly limited (certainly as compared to a blank Analysis Board on this site).

WyoKid

I agree, while I can use Fritz11 to setup any position I like and use it as an analysis board - it is a pain, because you have to enter infinite analysis mode which also requires you to put your Fritz disc in the drive.  I have other ways of doing this as well, but it would be very nice if there was a full featured analysis board that allowed you to setup positions and manipulate pieces while studying various line/problem whether they occur in an endgames book or in a line of play. 

artfizz
kielejocain wrote:

I agree that this feature would be a boon to have on the site.  As it turns out, we do have it; it is quite hidden, though.  If you use the Game Explorer and get to any game, the "Analysis Board" link opens a blank board that can be manipulated at will. ...

What is also remarkable is that you can save a link to ANY POSITION that you have set up.

Badgal4ever

THANK YOU!

tommynomad

bump.

still think this would be massively useful on site. Any admins want to take it upon themselves to install one? :)

rubygabbi

Try also the Computer Workout on the site. It provides excellent practice against the computer in a hugh number of positions.

philidorposition

If I'm not getting this wrong, this feature already exists under the resources/  analysis board.

Isn't this what you're looking for?

tommynomad
philidor_position wrote:

If I'm not getting this wrong, this feature already exists under the resources/  analysis board.

Isn't this what you're looking for?

Yes! seems to be. Where has that been hiding? It's not linked from the drop down as far as I can see. Am I unbelievably blind? :P

But seriously, how do I find it so I can get there quick and easy in future? (it's being bookmarked for now.)

philidorposition

It's the first term in the drop down menu which appears when you move your mouse cursor over resources.

tommynomad

thanks mate! got it. It seems I wasn't looking hard enough.

nhorsley

Yes! Analysis board is exactly what we needed!  Exclamation doubled.

wbbaxterbones

It wan't here when this thread was started I believe. I think that is why the OP asked.

seanp3105

can someone tell me how to copy moves from the notebook and paste it into it please?

also, what is fen and pgn?

thanks

OblicuoAlfil

I was looking for a practice board in the web so I can analyze a position in my online game and ended up here. I agree with jbright314

OblicuoAlfil

hey!! no I did not, but now I know!!

Gracias

Lunchbox427

I am trying to find an app like this for Android to keep up with chess by post games and other similar situations where my opponents are offline. I'd love to be able to keep several boards in my phone that I can manipulate without importing and exporting tons of pgn's on one board. Sandbox boards if you will. Any ideas?

Lunchbox427

Everything seems completely dedicated to either playing a computer, account-driven multiplayer, or a single two player pass-&-play board. I'm quite surprised that this isn't more of a user-friendly feature included in more chess apps.

Lunchbox427

Update: Google search finally came through! There is an app that's perfect for Android as a sandbox type of practice board! You can even save positions like I want. You just update your moves and save it as new position (downside is that you have to save the board as a new position, then delete the old instead of simply updating the current saved position) And it's free! You can also donate to remove ads. Go here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.luistels.simplechessboardgp Looks like a very small number of downloads. I've been playing around with it and it really is simple. Check it out if you have an Android phone and show this developer some chess.com love, ha ha.