Forums

question about fairplay.

Sort:
dokter_nee

So I was playing an OTB game on friday. And my opponent forgot to push his clock. I saw this, but since I was quite a lot behind on time, and in a worse position. I didn't notify him. I thought for like 7 minutes or something about a recapture (there was 1 other move that could be considered). And than played my move. Was this an evil thing to do? Bad sportmanship? Or should my opponent just pay better attention? I'm not his maid.

What does the chess community think?

BabyRhinoRainbow

If you were about to race someone, would you tell them that their shoes were untied?

ivandh

Purposefully running their clock down is a bit sore, but some people wouldn't even move- they would let their opponent either figure it out or time out.

solskytz

Well, I was once beating a player rated 300 points higher than me, and badly. 

I was wondering why he didn't resign? I had 8:30 minutes on my clock, and this was action chess. They guy was over 2200. We were playing second board. 

On the first board, a 2300+ was playing, who handed me my only loss in that tourney. It was my opponent's turn, and the game really entered a boring phase, so I watched board One with keen interest...

my opponent played his move, and pressed the clock very quietly... so that I don't see it. 

Then I glance at my game, and suddenly see my clock at 7:45! And with a new move from him. I then gave him a look of - 'look how you degrade yourself' - which made him resign the game on the spot. I don't think it was worth it doing this nasty trick, as apart from losing the game he also lost my respect at that point. 

OldHastonian
dokter_nee wrote:

So I was playing an OTB game on friday. And my opponent forgot to push his clock. I saw this, but since I was quite a lot behind on time, and in a worse position. I didn't notify him. I thought for like 7 minutes or something about a recapture (there was 1 other move that could be considered). And than played my move. Was this an evil thing to do? Bad sportmanship? Or should my opponent just pay better attention? I'm not his maid.

What does the chess community think?

Yes, it was poor sportsmanship, but I think you know that, hence asking for redemption at this place.

Markle

I have to say a while back i complained about people running you out of time in a dead draw just because they were ahead on the clock. This started a whole big discussion about how the clock is your own responsibility and you know that going into the game Well the same goes for OTB chess the clock is your responsibilty not mine. Have you ever seen the defence in a football game tell the other team to hurry up and snap the ball because the play clock is about to run out? The clock is part of he game and if you forget to punch it after you move sorry but i have let it run and i will do it again, call it what you like but it is not my responsibilty to make sure you punch your clock.

BabyRhinoRainbow

Markle is happy to win a race even if their opponents shoe was untied

AndyClifton

Well, since you said, "I'm not his maid," it's clear what you think.  So what're you asking us for?

TheOldReb

There is nothing unfair about not reminding an opponent about the clock .  Its part of the game and you are not responsible for your opponent's time/clock management just as he is not responsible for yours . 

doctorjimmy

My rule is that when an opponent forgets to hit his clock, I remind him to do so. But if he forgets again in the same game, it's his responsibility and I feel like I've done what I need to do.

SPARTANEMESIS

The way I see it: it doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's all about how you play the game.

AndyClifton

lol

Elubas

Yeah it's hard to say -- I usually go in the middle like you do lol. I don't think I would go all the way with it, i.e., not move for 20 minutes or whatever till he loses, but I think it's a bit much at the same time to expect your opponents to go out of their way to correct you simply because you made a mistake. And that's kind of how I feel when my opponent forgets -- I don't really feel like interacting with him, especially if it only leads to a benefit for him.

As long as you make a habit out of checking the clock, as well as hitting the clock immediately after you move in the first place, it shouldn't be a problem.

@doctorjimmy: Yeah that seems like a decent system. You've given him a solid reminder, so he shouldn't look for any excuses if he does it again.

Ubik42

You are only supposed to communicate with your opponent on draw offer, resignation, or j'adoube. Other communication risks a forfeit.

AndyClifton

Wow...that sounds a bit stringent.

SPARTANEMESIS

Ubik42 does that include pointing at the clock when your opponent forgot about it?  I'm guessing he or she would respect you for it, if said opponent had any honor.

SPARTANEMESIS

I don't think anyone is assigning fault here.  I don't play in tournaments which means I'm speaking hypothetically.  That being said, if my opponent had a bad attitude I would happily let his clock run out.  After the game I'd smile broadly, say "Great game big guy," and extend a handshake.

Ubik42
AndyClifton wrote:

Wow...that sounds a bit stringent.

I keep a ruler with me during a game. If you hear a sudden whoosh, then a popping noise, followed by a scream, you will know my opponent just pointed at my clock.

SPARTANEMESIS

You cut right through the pleasantries I see.

GenghisCant

Managing your clock is just as important as managing your pieces. If he failed to do so then it's his problem, not yours.